↳ CHAPTER ELEVEN

EVEN WITH HIS dangerous line of work, Kai had only ended up in the hospital a handful of times — once or twice because of taking a beating as a detective, but mostly, his trips to the emergency room had been because of his own bold attempt...

        EVEN WITH HIS dangerous line of work, Kai had only ended up in the hospital a handful of times — once or twice because of taking a beating as a detective, but mostly, his trips to the emergency room had been because of his own bold attempts to bicycle down a slide or do a backflip from a swing. Should anyone ask, he'd insist all that had happened as a child, and while it was true that he had been either extremely dumb or extremely brave even then, his antics had followed him directly into adulthood, too.

        Either way, he hadn't been that avid of a visitor in the hospital. But so far, he was loving it. With frequent attention and surprisingly promising desserts, how could he not? Though, he had to admit that he was itching to get back to work and he could have gone without the heavy cast on his leg but the medication he was on was doing its part in comforting him.

        His friends, on the other hand, weren't quite so impressed with him.

        The poor Nolan was trying to finish his pudding when Mateo was barging into the room with a litany of swear words in Spanish, Izzy hot on his heel and filled with similar frustration and concern for the man. "Are you an idiot?" Mateo huffed before slapping Kai's arm, and despite knowing it was ultimately coming from a place of love, the man scoffed in defense and lifted a defensive hand.

       "I am more than just a pretty face, you know. It's not like I got shot on purpose", Kai pointed out bitterly, and while fully aware, Mateo couldn't hold back a roll of eyes while taking a seat beside his bed and watching over him in case he were to get any more stupid ideas.

       "How are you feeling?" Izzy took a different approach to the situation, earning a betrayed look from Mateo that suggested they had agreed to come in guns blazing together.

        Chuckling at the worry they were both radiating, just in different ways, Kai put down his pudding and calmed them with a smile. "I'm feeling a-okay. Really, I'm going to be fine! I just need to wear this stupid thing for a few weeks and stay glued to my desk at work", he insisted before turning to Mateo with a grin and pinching his cheek. "That means you get to take care of me. Be warned, I can be a very demanding patient."

       Nevertheless, Izzy wasn't convinced. She approached the bed with her arms crossing over her chest and her eyes adorned with a motherly stare as if trying to wear Kai down and get him to open up. But truly, right now, he wasn't troubled — though, to be fair, he supposed it could be blamed on all the medicine he had been treated with.

        "Seriously! Thanks to Chloe, I'm peachy. Listen up close, because I won't speak these words ever again: she saved my life", Kai declared with wide eyes, and similarly, Mateo and Izzy exchanged looks before facing him with disbelief melting into pleased grins.

        "Fair enough", Izzy concluded, "but I'm telling you right now, if you start to feel a little... anxious about that leg of yours, we can always compare scars." She tapped at her arm, hidden by her sleeve but the sentiment remained. "Lucifer did it for me back when I was struggling with looking at my arm and it really helped me."