↳ CHAPTER FOUR

"THIS IS IT

"THIS IS IT."

Kai desperately wanted to crack a joke about how Izzy could have very well been talking about the end of his patience or his personal rock bottom, but instead, he sucked in a breath and landed a knock on the door she was referring to. The whole ride there, she had tried to find a new angle to the already shut-and-sealed case, but now, as they waited for the old lady in the apartment to answer the door, they were both accepting that Pierce was just running errands with their help. Of course, Kai found sitting down with witnesses and victims and talking to them immeasurably valuable, but knowing that their Lieutenant was only using this poor grandma as a distraction from real policework sucked all the joy out of it.

"At least I'll get to rub this in Decker's face, afterwards. Tell her I finished her case honorably", Kai pointed out with a grin, and although Izzy rolled her eyes, she couldn't resist cracking a similar expression.

"Have you considered peaceful coexistence?" she attempted, though she trusted she already knew the answer and therefore didn't wait to hear it. "For what it's worth, I've never seen Chloe this... fired up. She's always passionate about her job, but now, she's competitive in ways I never thought I'd see. And that's with Lucifer as her partner, you know", the Holt explained, not quite sure what she hoped to achieve with it, but Kai instantly placed a flattered hand on his chest.

He was a single second away from sharing his gratitude when the door in front of them finally opened, and both of them plastered their kindest smiles on at the short, elderly woman appearing at the doorway. "Good afternoon! We're from the LAPD, I'm Detective Nolan and this is Officer Holt. We understand you testified for a murder a while ago and we thought we'd stop by and see how you're doing", Kai declared with a gentle voice whilst Izzy waved her hand in a polite greeting. The old lady seemed almost taken aback by their visit, but ended up in an amazed smile and stepped aside to let the two inside.

"This is awfully sweet of you, why don't you come on inside? I think I have some cookies in the pantry saved just for special guests like yourselves", she gushed with her hands flailing in the air, and as she disappeared into the apartment, Kai turned to Izzy and fist-bumped the air in celebration. If cookies were involved, he could tolerate anything Pierce threw his way.

The warm apartment instantly reminded Kai of his own grandmother, sadly passed but a fondly-cherished memory in his heart especially at times like these. As the woman reached for the cookies she had promised, he looked around the cozy home with a soft smile and thought back to all the special moments he had spent with the wisest of his family — she had actually been the one to teach him how to bake, and although he hadn't chosen to follow his dad and step-mom's lead into making a career out of it, he could whip up a killer cake whenever.

"Here you go, darling", the elderly woman rounded the countertop with a porcelain plate filled with double chocolate cookies, and Kai did not hesitate to grab the largest one and happily shove it into his mouth. Izzy took a more sophisticated route and thanked the lady with a radiant smile before nibbling on the chocolate bits, but even she couldn't resist a near moan at the sweet, sweet taste.