↳ CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

ATTUNED TO DANGER, all thanks to his job and otherwise impulsive ideas, Kai usually didn't cower in the face of threat

      ATTUNED TO DANGER, all thanks to his job and otherwise impulsive ideas, Kai usually didn't cower in the face of threat. Usually. Even now, as he snuck up the sandy road leading to a hill above the city with Pierce in his sights and his gun steadily placed against his palm, he kept a brave face and leveled his breathing whenever it seemed to pick up the pace. On the inside, though, his nerves were going haywire and his stomach twisted, making him feel sick albeit unwilling to go back. He never felt like this on a case, but knowing the stakes of going after his boss added the extra weight on his heart.

           No matter how much he seemed like it sometimes, he wasn't stupid, though. So, while slowly and quietly climbing up towards the shadowy bushes and trees through which Pierce had disappeared, he dug out his cellphone and silently praised his speed dial for allowing him to reach Izzy Holt so hastily.

         "Hey. It's kinda late, is everything okay?" Izzy picked up sooner than expected, and any other situation, Kai would have smiled at her attentiveness. Now, though, he could only swallow and keep his voice low to avoid being spotted while creeping higher up the hill.

         "You still have that Find My Friend thing for my phone?" he questioned without so much as a greeting, and once Izzy had confirmed his suspicions, he sighed in relief. "Good. It's a long story, but I'm after Pierce—", he continued, but he wasn't allowed to finish when the jingling of Izzy's keys echoed through the line.

        "Got it. I'm on my way." No questions asked, the Holt was hanging up and heading out to be her friend's back-up — Kai didn't doubt that she missed the rush of solving crimes, too, but after what Pierce had roped Maze into, there was surely some tiny bit of Izzy that yearned for revenge. At the very least, she didn't hesitate to swear assistance to the man seeking Pierce's downfall.

         When the tall, dark frame of the Lieutenant finally showed from amidst the trees, Kai was picking up the pace, his gun hoisted in the air as he cleared his throat. "Hey, dickhead. Put down the weapon", he called out, his voice wavering just a little when he noticed the handgun Pierce was aiming through the branches. At what, Kai could not see, but regardless, he couldn't allow Marcus to take the shot under such suspicious circumstances.

         It was his arrival, however, that startled Pierce. In a blink of an eye, the gun went off, followed by a howl of pain from the other side of the trees. Kai's first instinct was to take down the threat — Cain, that was, but before he could fire the shot, he found himself on the wrong end of the barrel. Pierce was aiming for him next, but Kai managed to roll onto the ground and dodge the incoming gunfire just in time.

        That gave Pierce the time to take off, but unwilling to let that happen, Kai holstered his gun and sped after the man. With his lanky legs, he caught up with the Lieutenant before he could vanish down the hill, and leaped onto his back to push him onto the gravel with all his weight. They both groaned in pain as they landed on the rough ground, but unbothered by the scratches on his knees and palms, Kai pressed his knee into Pierce's ribs and delivered a fierce blow to his face. Blood smeared his knuckles as he huffed and tried to balance himself on top of the writhing man, but one punch wasn't enough to knock Pierce out.