↳ CHAPTER TWENTY

KAI COULDN'T QUITE put his finger on it, but when he made his way to work the next day, the air felt a little different. Sure, there was a sense of fleeting success on his shoulders from hearing that Chloe and Lucifer had found the real killer by the time Kai had been cleared to go home... but there was something else, too. Something beneath the bounce of his feet, something building the smile on his lips when he landed at his desk and breathed out contentedly.

He recognized the very real possibility that Chloe played a part in his cheer, but he was also convinced that he had gotten some kind of closure last night. Being bullied wasn't easily forgotten, if at all, but getting to experience some version of a dance had put his restless mind at ease. He no longer felt like hanging onto the past and what could have been, when he had gotten to do it on his terms.

And yet, he acted clueless when Ella and Izzy were rushing to his desk with wide eyes and eager grins.

"Dish, man, dish!" Ella gushed with her hands clasped over her chest while Izzy agreed with vigorous nodding. It was obvious they were desperate for the details, but Kai, well-aware of how to keep them on their toes, flashed an innocent face while looking up from his computer and shrugging at them.

"Uh, yeah, we caught the murderer. I think the Decker-Devil duo is finishing up the paperwork as we speak", he explained nonchalantly, only for Izzy to intervene with a dismissive wave of her hand. Maybe it was that, or the way the both of them nearly trembled while standing in a perfectly lined row in front of Kai, but he wound up snorting at their enthusiasm. "We had a good time, alright? Or I had, anyway. Feels like some childhood scars did some proper healing, I guess", he gave them the answer they had been hoping for, one that only amplified in satisfaction when Kai glanced over his shoulder to sneak a look at Chloe.

"See, I told you the glasses were a genius idea", Ella chimed in with a casual slap at Kai's chest, earning a cheek-aching smile from him as he nodded in reluctant agreement. He wasn't quite sure what he had hoped to achieve with them — of course, he appreciated praise and attention but there was nothing special about who it came from, right?

They didn't get to say anything more when Pierce was emerging from his office, merely his presence paralyzing everyone with discomfort and silence as he strode over to the three of them. "Nolan. Just because paperwork is your least favorite part about the job, doesn't mean you're allowed to half-ass it", he erupted into a rant without so much as a greeting, pulling an eye roll from Kai as a shameless response to a huge pile of files slapped onto his hands. "I suggest you put more time and effort into it or it'll come back to bite you in the ass", the Lieutenant added curtly, eyebrows knitted together in annoyance as he stared at Kai whose face was distorted with frustration.

"Well, if you're such a big fan of my content, sure. Just for you, I'll try", Kai declared with a hand placed on his chest, the venomous tone earning suppressed smirks from Ella and Izzy. Pierce, however, didn't seem at all amused — not that he said anything when he was already striding to Chloe's desk, giving Kai the opportunity to stick his tongue out at the burly man's back.