↳ CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

WITH CHARLOTTE'S HELP, Kai had put the right pieces together and figured out the main suspect in his case

       WITH CHARLOTTE'S HELP, Kai had put the right pieces together and figured out the main suspect in his case. By the end of the next day, the criminal had been cuffed and charged and the Nolan could rest a little easier knowing that he had played his part in delivering justice. And yet, an obnoxious weight remained on his chest, nagging and reminding him of the problems he still needed to solve and seal.

           "Good work, Nolan", Pierce was calling out from his office, his stamp of approval on the case pleasing Kai to no end — he could hear from the Lieutenant's voice that he hated to admit his defeat, and that felt almost as good as catching bad guys. Despite his troubles and worries, a smile curled up his lips as he turned to Charlotte, both of them standing by his desk before parting ways.

          "Thanks for your help. Who knew we'd make such a formidable duo?" he hummed in satisfaction, similar to the grin on Charlotte's lips as she patted Kai's shoulder approvingly.

         The general enthusiasm in the air grew a little lighter when Kai turned back to Pierce's office only to find Chloe wandering in yet again, his smile melting into a frown as he watched the two smile at each other. God, when was the last time Pierce had smiled, huh? Why was he suddenly so interested in Decker?

         Then again, the same could be asked about Kai.

         "Woah, what's got you looking so sour?" Izzy's voice was startling out of his thoughts, and glancing over his shoulder, Kai noticed the Holt circling around his desk to join him, whereas Charlotte had already disappeared elsewhere. He was happy to see that Isadora no longer cowered at the sight of the attorney, but rather, there was almost a smile on her lips as a silent greeting when she passed the woman on her way to Kai.

         Inhaling deeply, the Nolan hoisted his hands up to his hips and shrugged. "Betrayal, family drama, world's worst boss, global warming", he listed before turning to Izzy with a faint smile, "I don't what to tell ya, Iz. Some days just really highlight all the bad."

         With a frown replacing the smile on her own lips, Izzy settled right next to him with an arm draped over his shoulders to pull him closer. "Uh, let's try and tackle these one by one. Who betrayed you, babe?" she wondered with sympathy oozing out of her, and sighing in comfort, Kai nestled closer to her with a grumpy nod directed at Pierce's office.

         "Since when are those two so chummy?" he pointed out, the annoyance evident in his tone, and fighting back a grin, Izzy followed his stare to the office where Chloe and Marcus were chatting and grazing one another's arms.

         "I'm guessing the obvious has been said to you already so I won't do the same. But they are allowed to talk to each other, you know. You can't treat a person like your enemy and then be upset when they find a friend in someone else", Izzy reminded, always the sound of reason — and without meaning to, she got Kai to think about the complicated bond he had formed with Chloe. Surely, they weren't enemies anymore, as much was clear when he felt the twist in his chest at the sight of the Decker laughing with Pierce.