↳ CHAPTER FOURTEEN

KAI HAD DECIDED to approach his current predicament as if it was another case to solve. Pouring his heart out to ABBA while lying in bed hadn't done the trick, so when he was forced to get up for physical therapy and more desk duty, he was hellbent on breaking the cycle. The days that felt so utterly uneventful with simply helping everyone out at work rather than tackling any interesting cases of his own, he filled by baking at home to make up, not out, with Mateo.

When it came to the question of his identity, more specifically his sexuality, he was at an impasse but when the day of his cast removal finally arrived, he was ready for a breakthrough. With walking no longer seeming so impossible, neither did the idea of figuring out who he was, truly. At the very least, his friendship with Mateo had been easily mended, and sooner or later, the brief moment they had shared on Izzy's balcony could be treated as an amusing memory.

On top of that, though, it had been the kickstart to Kai discovering parts about himself he didn't even know existed. And he was sure that one day, he would be grateful for that.

"Look who's up and about!" Ella was the first one to greet him when he arrived at the precinct, both legs intact and no crutches to support him like they had for a few weeks now. While getting shot had undoubtedly been shocking, physical therapy had kept him afloat and the crumbling of his heterosexuality had kept him away from the darker parts of his mind. He had been considering making an appointment with the ever-so-lovely Dr. Martin, just to make sure he wasn't piling trauma on top of trauma, but for now, he felt like the worst was over.

"I could say the same about you", Kai grinned, delighted to see that the Lopez was feeling better — whether his lashing out at Pierce or Charlotte's chipping in had done the trick, he was grateful. Every now and then he still missed New York and his old co-workers, but at this point, only one day without Ella's antics felt dreadful and unworthy of going through. Each of them played an important part in his routines — or the lack of them, really.

Once he spotted Izzy and Lucifer at his desk, whispering and glancing at Pierce's office, he gave Ella a pat on the arm as a goodbye before heading over. He did not enjoy being left in the dark, not when he believed he mattered to their work as much as they mattered to him. And so, he made his way to his desk where he dropped his bag onto the chair and gave Izzy and Lucifer a stern stare.

"What are you two plotting?" he questioned with narrowing eyes, only for his glare to soften when he noticed arranged files on his desk, no doubt thanks to Izzy. Suddenly he felt bad, not only for his demanding tone but for contributing to her anxiety with his horrible organization skills, though he already knew that whatever mental note he tried to make about keeping his things in check, would be gone by the end of the conversation.

"Good morning to you, as well", Lucifer took the liberty to answer with a tight-lipped smile on his lips, "we're simply having a discussion on how to handle the Lieutenant."