↳ CHAPTER TWELVE

FULL CHAOS MODE had taken effect as Lucifer had wound up kidnapping the Sinnerman

    FULL CHAOS MODE had taken effect as Lucifer had wound up kidnapping the Sinnerman. Kai, for one, wasn't the least bit surprised to hear that the Devil had gone rogue but nevertheless, it had thrown a wrench into the team's hopes and plans for the evening. Izzy had gotten out on time, but the rest of them had huddled up in Ella's lab to investigate every possible detail of Lucifer's life to help them figure out where he had disappeared to after the fake bomb planted on Dan's desk.

    "He has all these houses?" Kai muttered in disbelief while flipping through the impressive file Dan had piled together on the man, an eyebrow lifting as he looked up from where he was sitting and shook his head. "And I share a tiny apartment with an overdramatic ice cream enthusiast", he concluded, pulling snorts from his friends, some of which still struggled to believe Kai and Mateo actually worked so well as roommates.

    "Interestingly, he's not so overdramatic anymore. I think you've grounded him in some strange way", Chloe noted, clearly thinking back to a time when Mateo had been a wilder man to get acquainted with. Kai had heard from Izzy how he had helped her go undercover at a tequila party, but before he could ask for any details, the Decker was proceeding. "Also, don't act like you're not loving him looking after you. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he packs you lunch and kisses you goodbye every morning."

    Kai opened his mouth to argue, but Dan beat him to it with a boisterous laugh. "Oh, yeah! It's like that motherly instinct that kicks in when the baby is born, you know? No matter how wild of a person, once they get their baby in their arms, they know they can do it", he explained with a grin directed at Kai, "you are the baby."

    "Alright, alright, you know—I'm not—this metaphor sucks. In fact, I'd say it's more of a—", the Nolan attempted to ramble with a weak laugh slipping into his words until he shut the file he had only skimmed through for the photos. "I forgot where I was going with this, but whatever. Can we focus here?" His eyes rolled around in his head, and instinctively, Ella was giving his shoulder a reassuring pat to silently promise she was still on his side.

    With a snap of fingers, though, the amused air in the room was sucked out and replaced with heavy tension. "Izzy just texted me", Dan spoke gravely, worrying Kai that the housewarming party had been canceled — it was, however, a very different situation. "Maze was with Lucifer just now. They know where he took the Sinnerman", the Espinoza added with a solemn look given to his co-workers, encouraging everyone to shuffle into motion.

    "Uh, where do you think you're going?" Kai had hardly gotten up from his chair and snuck his crutches under his arms when Chloe was stepping in front of him, a hand on his chest and her sharp eyebrows knitted together.

    While Kai was tempted to wonder if she was being protective, he could see everyone else already packing their things, leaving him no option but to give Chloe a pleading look. "I'm the one who helped Lucifer with the Sinnerman in the first place. Feels like I should do a little more than just—", he attempted with a sigh, but unsurprisingly, he wasn't allowed to finish when Pierce was appearing in the lab's doorway.