5//Who was I?

<<As always, song is inspo.

this song used to mean so much to me, but then the person who I sang this for everytime I listened to it broke my heart lol.>>

Two pairs of eyes met for what seemed like a thousand years. One sparkled with surprise, whilst the other shone with pure pain. It was only when Sapnap returned with a doctor that George broke their stare. Dream's supposed crush sat back down, glaring at the wall as angry tears streamed down his face. Dream was just stunned, unable to say anything.

"Ah, you're awake. I'm Dr. Darren. How are you feeling Clay?" the doctor asked, checking over the beeping machines that had woken him up. Dream watched him for a second, still lost in thought.

"Okay, I guess? I have a headache, if that means anything," Dream finally responded, still feeling awkward from his and George's talk. His "headache" was really more of a migraine. It felt like his brain was trying to escape the confines of his very skull, pounding on the bone walls. He closed his eyes for a second, favoring the darkness of his eyelids over the blinding hospital light.

The doctor hummed as he walked away from the machines. Dream opened his eyes to a squint to watch him. Dr. Darren paused at the end of his bed, where a couple knobs and medical-thingys were. Dream followed his movements with his eyes as the doctor walked over to the side of his bed. He had a friendly, approachable aura and Dream was thankful for a comforting presence.

"We're going to have to keep you for a week, maybe a little longer so we can make sure you don't have any real brain trauma. Have you noticed anything weird since waking up? I need to know about any dark spots in your vision, hallucinations, memory loss, etc. so I can properly help you," he smiled, his voice comfortingly calm. Dream blinked and opened his eyes fully.

His gaze flickered over to George at the last thing Dr. Darren listed. The blue-clad man was wiping his eyes with his sleeve, trying to stop the flow of tears. It was only now that Dream realized that his character was printed on his hoodie, peeking out of the pocket. He wondered where George had gotten it, since that design wasn't on his merch store. He looked back over at Dr. Darren.

"I don't think-" Before he could fully answer, Sap interrupted him.

"He's completely forgotten about George," Sap's voice strained as he waved a hand towards the broken individual, who sniffled and looked up. George's eyes were red and puffy, his hair a tangled mess. He looked back down, putting his arms around himself. Dream looked down at his wrist, seeing the IV cord and the hospital wrist band. He fiddled with the needle a little, still having the urge to take it out.

Dr. Darren's eyebrows furrowed. Dream felt like he was in trouble. The doctor chewed on the inside of his cheek, thinking for a moment. "I see," he said, taking a small sticky notepad and pen out of his jacket. He scribbled something down, and tapped them back into his pocket. "We're going to have to do an MRI, just to make sure you didn't get any major brain damage, ok?"

"I-... ok," Dream looked up, his eyes widening. He cut his thought short, and agreed hesitantly. The doctor smiled and left the room when Dream said he was good for now, probably going to help another one of his patients.

Just seconds after he was out of sight, the tension in the air skyrocketed. It was hard to breathe, causing Dream to squirm a little.

He managed to pull himself into an upright position, fighting against the pounding in his head and the wave of nausea that churned in his stomach. He groaned quietly. Dream closed his eyes again, waiting until his body decided it wanted to cooperate with him before opening them.

"So, uh," He started, trying to do anything to break the thick, smoke-like air smothering the room. Dream closed his mouth when George suddenly stood up. He glanced over in Dream's direction and paused. Seemingly decided on something, George quickly speed-walked over to the door and left. Dream felt guilty, even though it wasn't his choice to forget him. It wasn't his fault, right? Now that Dream thought about it, he didn't remember anything from the day he assumed he got hurt. Or the day before. Dream panicked. The nausea came back in full force. Questions raced through his mind- What happened those two days? How had he gotten hurt? Why just George?

What had he done?

Sap sat back down in the seat he had been sitting in when Dream woke up. His friend crossed his arms, staring at the floor intensely. Dream sighed, looking to the side. The thudding in his head had subsided a fair amount, but it was still there. He slowly slipped back down into the thin covers on his hospital bed, unsure of what to do. His stomach was still churning, Dream unsure if he was actually going to throw up. He swallowed anyway, his mouth dry. Dream wished he had asked Dr. Darren if he could have a glass of water.

"Sap?"

Sapnap looked up, instantly concerned.

"What is it Dream? Is your head hurting still? Do I need to go get the doctor again-" Sap frantically said, clearly worried about the state of his friend.

"No, no," Dream interrupted him, "I was just wondering if you could, uh, tell me about George?" his voice quieted towards the end, his eyes going back to the IV needle again. Dream flushed a little, still guilty about before.

Sap hesitated, before calming down. Dream could still see him fidget with his thumbs and knew he was still worried, just trying to not let it show. He thought for a moment.

"Well, you knew him better than any of us,"

"Wilbur, Skeppy, Karl, Bad-" Dream said, realizing that he remembered the rest of his friends perfectly. That made him feel a little better.

"Yeah. Good to see that you haven't forgotten anyone else," Sap smiled a little.
"Anyway, you and George were nearly inseparable. The closest best friends I've ever seen. It was kind of funny, actually. The fans always loved your bond," Sap chuckled, "Some of them even shipped the two of you. I think your ship name was DreamNotFound? I'm not really sure," he trailed off. Dream was listening intently, trying to take in as much information as he could.

"George is a screamer- Whenever we played together, he always hit the max volume. Um, he's also very hyper. That one time we went to a minecon together we constantly had to chase after him. That was pretty fun. If I remember right George instantly passed out as soon as we got back to the hotel room.

"You always had this tone in your voice when you were talking about him that I never heard you use with anyone else. I'm surprised I didn't realize what it was back then. Wait, do you remember what happened before you hit your head?" Sap asked, fidgeting with his hands. Dream shook his head, swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat. He felt so lost, and incomplete. Dream thought that having Sapnap tell him stuff would make him feel better, but instead it did the opposite.

"Well, I'm not sure what exactly happened, I just know what George told me," Sap paused, "Are you sure you want to know?"

Dream thought for a moment. He thought about George's pained expression, and the way he rushed out of the room. He remembered the moment he realized that he had completely forgotten his best friend. How he felt like a piece of him had been stolen from him. His heart ached to know what had happened, to figure out why this was happening to him.

"I don't want to, I need to."

<<Hope you enjoyed, cuz this is just the beginning! >:D

Edit: HOLY WOOF WE HIT 1K READS- THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!>>