4.

It had been around two weeks since you had started at Nekoma High and had found yourself spending your spare time watching the male volleyball team practice almost daily. You were never really interested in sports before but something about watching the boys play volleyball was exciting and new. You had even started to remember the names of the boys on the team and had begun to talk to some of them even if it was very small talk. You would occasionally say hi or good work, or even just smile at them. Kenma would always duck his head away when that would happen and you would feel somewhat disappointed. Was he just still shy? Or did he just not like you for some reason?

Kenma had seen you every time you had come to watch them practice. He liked how you would scrunch your nose whenever you concentrated on the ball as it flew across the court and how excited you would get when any of the teams would score. He secretly hoped you would only cheer for him but everytime you would look at him and smile, his whole body burned with embarrassment and he would have to force himself to look away before he ended up making himself look like a bright red tomato.

"Hey.. good practice!" You beamed at Lev, one of the middle blockers of Nekoma as he came over. You had just finished watching one of the volleyball practices and had come down from the bleachers to give the team some milk. You had some money you had earned from your part-time job at a convenience store and had decided to get the team some refreshments. You wanted to get closer to them, it was nice being around such a fun group of people and really helped you get through stressful times especially since exams were coming up.

"Hey! Thanks!" Lev grinned, bending down to pat your head with one of his large hands. "You're welcome, Lev." You said and reached to grab a small carton of milk out of your bag to hand to the taller boy who grinned, nodding his head in appreciation as he took it. "Hey Y/N! Got any for me?" Yamamoto yelled. "Of course. I've got one for everyone." And with that answer, the rest of the team came over, each one thanking you with a bright smile as you handed the cartons of milk out. This was the first time you had bought the team anything so you were starting to get shy from all the praise you were receiving. Whether it would be just vocally with a 'thanks' or just a pat on your head or shoulder. A light blush spreading across your face. Kenma noticed this and stood at the back, eyes narrowing as he shoved his hands into his pockets, chewing on his tongue in annoyance. He had started to recognize that he hated when you smiled at others and how others smiled at you, the boys especially. Who did they think they were? Of course, you were nice and he understood that being friendly had to come with a smile but they didn't need to go out of their way to touch you. It irritated him.. a lot.

"Kenma.. the last one is for you." You softly said as you pushed your way through the team, getting to the smaller boy who stood at the back. You had wondered why he hadn't come over with the rest of them. 'Maybe he didn't want to come to me? Shyness? Or does he not like milk? Maybe he really doesn't like me?' These thoughts were running through your mind before you snapped back into reality, feeling a slight tugging as you realized that Kenma had taken the carton of milk from your hand. You looked up at him and smiled, relieved. "Strawberry!" You giggled, just so happy he had accepted the milk.

Kenma blinked as he registered your smile and the way you were giggling right in front of him. His eyes widened as he felt his ears start to burn with that all too familiar feeling. "Yeah.. strawberry.." He mumbled. How pathetic. He couldn't even form a full sentence talking to you. Just mumbled, quiet words.

"Strawberry, eh? Nice Kenma." Kuroo smirked as he looked down at his friend. Kenma knew exactly what that meant, he was up to something and that something wouldn't be good. "Y'know.. Y/N.. Kenma actually really hates strawberry.." Kuroo said. Kenma clenched his fists as he heard what his friend had just said and immediately he stepped forward in front of him, shaking his head. He panicked.

"W- What? Really Kenma? I'm sorry I didn't know.. I would of saved another flavor for you. Wait, I think I have some change. I'll go get-" You said, embarrassed and flustered. "No." Kenma's voice cut off yours. "I like it." He said, quickly opening the carton to chug down the milk in a matter of seconds. "Oh, Kenma. Are you alright?" You asked, surprised and concerned since Kenma was now standing in front of you with a twisted expression. He indeed did feel sick and it didn't help that Kuroo was next to him, holding back his laughter with an amusing grin on his face. "Wow Kenma. I was wrong. You really do love strawberry." Kuroo chuckled, shoulders shaking as he started to laugh hysterically. Kenma couldn't stand there any longer, he had to go and he turned to run towards the bathroom. A hand over his mouth and the other clutching his stomach.

Kenma had vomited out all the contents of his stomach. He had drunken the milk way too fast and had regretted it just as quick. Why had he done that? He knew why. It was because of the way your eyes had glazed over slightly with sadness and embarrassment as you had listened to what Kuroo had said. It had also been the small frown that had tugged at your lips faintly.
Oh, you were just an angel. So beautiful and kind. He hated that your expression had changed to something like that and he wanted it to disappear right away so that's why he had done what he did.

"Kenma! Feeling better?" You worriedly said as you got up from the floor. You had been sitting outside the bathroom the entire time Kenma had gone inside. 'What is she doing here? Don't tell me.. she was out here all alone.. waiting for me?' Kenma thought as you approached him. "I'm.. fine." He answered, reaching to brush off the dust he could see on your shirt. He had a sudden burst of confidence and he figured he would need to stay close to you if he was ever going to protect you from the other boys of the school. He had came to that conclusion while throwing up and it would be good to start now. You flinched at his touch, just not used to Kenma being physical at all but soon relaxed as you smiled, grateful. You opened your mouth to speak but Kenma had spoken first. "There's a practice next week. Against another school." Kenma started, his eyes flicking away from yours. He had to get used to your face soon otherwise his plan to form a close relationship with you would not get any better but right now, it was still too much. "And.. I want you to come to that.. please." "Of course, Kenma! I always come to your practices and that sounds exciting! I'm so happy you asked me." You grinned, already pumped for the week to come.