Chapter 4

A.N.- You made it to chapter 4! Huzzah! Ok so now its starting to roll a bit. I'm back in school so I'll really try to update when I can.  Also demographics showed most of you readers are big kids so I'll take that as green light to add in darker moments/plot ;-) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time had gone by in a flash. Man I can't believe spring has reached the mountains. Snow that had blocked several passes was melted enough for travel. H*** I could barely remember green grass, or what it feels like since it had snowed just a few days after my arrival to Kaer Morhen.

"Hmmm," I mused to myself. "Lets see bag packed, food rations secured. Water canteen full and treated...Oh yeah notes on beasts.  Socks and extra clothes.  Sleeping bag, and tarp. Ummm what else?"

"How about your dagger, flint, and a sword."

I turned to the familiar sound of Eskel's voice. He stood in the doorway of my small room holding a dagger I'd been given for training, and a sheathed sword. "It's silver if you're wondering. Thought it might be useful to really train as we go. It will be a long way to Vengerberg. A few weeks riding."

I practically bounced over, and gingerly took both weapons in my hands. I had gotten pretty good at using the dagger for quick movements in our few training sessions but the sword scared me a little.  I'd never thought about using a weapon.  Violence was so not my personality.  Thats why I'd give in to others.  Thats why I had needed the hiking trip.  The travelling.  To get away.  Away from him--  Well I sure got away alright: a little to far away.

"Thanks for doing this Eskel." I stared back into his amber eyes.  But they didn't betray the slightest emotion.  Nothing to register at all.  Cold, like a snake.

"Like I said," he paused. "It's a long ride.  Finish packing and we'll head out.  I'd like to leave the valley well before noon."  With that he turned on his heel and left me to my solitude.

I saluted the empty doorway, and reorganized my bag a bit to fit the last items.  Satisfied that I'd not forgotten anything I pulled on my backpack.  I felt odd.  In the short time I'd been in Kaer Morhen it had actually become a familiar place to me.  Not quite home, but not a bad place either. 

The routines had been nice.  Waking early and cooking breakfast.  Cleaning stables.  Reading the beastiary.  Practicing how to use a small dagger.  Getting defeated by Geralt in sparing but always being helped back up.  Bickering with Lambert had even become a bit of a game.  Eskel listening to my many thoughts.  Vesemir nodding along and giving advice about life and the world.  It kept my mind off the paranoia.  The fears I had.  Turning I strained to memorize the last details of my room.  This I hope to remember.  Maybe, just maybe, this will be the adventure to help me forget him.  To help get my life sorted out.  And I'll go home. 

I walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My butt already hurts," I grumbled under my breath.  Never had I imagined a long horse ride would be so uncomfortable.  Mountains and rivers dotting the landscape were amazing, but the rocky path had lost its rugged charm at least two hours prior.  My grey mare only nickered, and continued down the familiar trail out into the world.

"We have a few more hours till nightfall. "Eskel said without missing a beat.  We had already been riding since noon, and were out of the Kaer Morhen valley.  The mountains were almost behind us as we followed the Gwenllech river down to the plains.  The sun was already finishing its arch in the sky.

Groaning at the thought of the sure to be developing bruises on my backside I tried to shift in the saddle.  "Could we at least stop for a moments breather?  I'm sure watering a horse is part of travelling."