Chapter 18

Ciri had indeed teleported the trio to the safety of Avellac'h's estate.  Their host was all to eager to investigate the curiosity that was Volyon's theory.  Leading them into a large open study full of various instruments and diagrams pinned across the walls, Cassiopea found she was less frightened by this Avellac'h than she was of Volyon.

Although the magic was completely foreign to her this lab seemed peaceful, everything was organized and the room was bright.  A cool evening breeze floated in from the balcony window giving a small glimpse at the vastness of the ethereal gardens beyond.  

After brief formal introductions, Cass dove right into the retelling of her whole ordeal on The Continent, with Eskel filling in gaps along the way.  Both left out the details of their closer moments at the inn just prior to the kidnappers, but Avellac'h didn't seem to much care.  His focus soon became very fixed on Volyon's plans, and their implications. 

"Interesting indeed."  His aquamarine eyes shone in the evening light.  "If I recall correctly he was a mage here in Tir na Lia, and a few decades back he was ridiculed when he posed his own ideas on the theory on conjunction.  As far as we knew he had run off, but as to where we didn't really care.  From what you've described however, it seems he has a new angle on his plans. "

In two graceful strides he removed a deeply weathered tome off a mahogany shelf.  Running a long finger along a particular line in the thick tome, he frowned. "See here in the last lines of this thesis it does suggest the possibility for unification of the spheres on the whims of an accomplished sage, or by other higher powers.  What it requires is weak point in the barriers."

"So why me in particular?" Cass inquired.  

Replacing the tome back onto a lower ledge, Avellac'h closed in on Cass, scrutinizing her petite form.  "Think of yourself as a moving weak spot.  It is not that you are particularly special, it just so happens that you will make his plan so much simpler.  Imagine instead of colliding only one or two worlds together but then you must hold them in place to re-collide that mass with other worlds.  Repeating this step over and over until all worlds are joined can be daunting.  Now think instead of using you as a keystone, Volyon can merge hundreds at once.  Simple productivity."

"So that's clearly bad right," Ciri, who had begun to pace the wide area, remarked.  Her stormy expression electrifying. 

"Bad is putting it mildly Ciri.  Were he to complete his goals, we would likely face an apocalyptic event not unlike the White Frost we worked so hard to slow down.  The only way to stop him is to remove his goal and key to the whole ordeal, permanently."

"I'm sorry but WHAT!"  Cass cast a panicked look between Eskel and Avellac'h.  "Permanently remove, what is that supposed to mean.  You're not seriously suggesting, I mean is that even right, what about me?"

A bright blue light shimmered a moment in the air, and with a pop a chess set came crashing down across the floor.  The worn wooden table along with both chairs also joined in by splintering upon contact.   Cass jumped back from the impact, with Eskel shielding her with an arm from any flying fragments.

"Oh oops, I -I'm sorry."  She winced leaning into Eskel's protective frame.  "That happens sometimes."

Raising up a hand, Avellac'h continued. "What I mean is we need to return you back to your own world, a world with no magic in which instances like this,' he gestured towards the chess set, "cannot happen."

"But I portaled myself here in the first place..."

"By disconnecting you from the weak point it will make that completely impossible for you in the future.  In your world Volyon will not be able reach you."