Chapter 6

A.N. - Wow chapter 6...I was not expecting to have actually gotten this far because of my heavy course load in uni. I'm so sorry this one is long <:-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Finally joinen ta land of ta livin again -- he ehe he."

I blinked. My head was pounding.

"Oh no. Dontcha try an move lassie. You barely made it. If that odd witchen had not 'un brought you, yous be dead." The croaking voice rasped. Some glass clinked nearby and I felt something hot press into my side. I hissed and muttered choice foul words in response.

"Now dontcha be a takin up those words here lassie. This here is Vessenka's house, and there be no foulties here. Save for Hrothgar as he ain't got much else in his head."

"Sorry," I murmured. My voice barely making it past my lips. With a brutally dry mouth I tried to smack my lips.

"He ehe he, here yah are lassie." A gnarled old woman with wiry hair helped pour some spicy liquid into my lips. It burned but felt good. "Yea, the Feverfew tea is good. The fever yah had is down good. Been a right few days yah looked ready for a mound."

"How long have I been here?" I tried to turn my head but the old woman tutted.

"Dontcha move! I say yah need rest."

Sigh... "Ok then please answer a few questions."

I felt the edge of the bed give as the odd elderly woman sat beside me. She straightened her apron over a dingy blue dress. "'Den I'll a try."

"Again what day is it?"

"You 'un that whitchen came barralin into da village not three days ago. Gave a right scare to Ol' Jurg the gate watcher."

"Three days? I've been out for three day!"

"Now dontcha be a gettin upset. Yer side was a right bit bad. So much blood was out yah we thought a vampire had gotten yah. You needed the sleep and herbs to stop any inferction. As it were yah had a bad fever for the last two days. That witchen had me keep yah under me eye."

"Where is Eskel?"

"Dat witchen took up a job fer da aldermann in the town next over. Drowned dead 'uns by da mill pond."

"He left me..." I closed my eyes. A slight pounding in my head starting to make me dizzy.

"Nay dat 'un will be back fur yah." The old woman stood up and walked over to my bedside.

"What makes you so sure?" I scrunched my brows together.

Shaking a crooked finger at me the old woman squinted. "I've been alive longer 'dan een your own folks. I's know." With that she turned and left.

I could hear the faint mutter and then a crackling fire. The steady sound of chopping vegetables added to the slow rhythm of the room. Soon an aroma of stew flowed into my nose. As if on cue my stomach rumbled. And like all old grandmothers, the lady was back with a small bowl of hot stew. She only commanded me to eat and slowly she spoon-fed me till it was all gone. I ate in silence, and then sleep took me away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It must have been several hours later. The room was dim but warm light was slipping past an old rag tied over a window.  The few beams that entered making the dust and ash sparkle.

But hell with that I had to go pee! Careful to not invoke the old lady from last nights wrath I gently slid out the side of the bed. My side ached and I'm certain bedsores are starting to form on my backside. After doing the job I had to do, Thank goodness for chamber-pots, I realized the room I was in was more like half of the small hut.