Chapter 7

A.N.- Oh me goodness people actually read this... I started this as a random pet-project. Cool. Well if you like it then by all means read on.  And share!

Oh and this may be one of the last chapters to have first person view... first person is hard to write lol . Also schools are shutdown here in Canada... so I'll likely be writing more. and updating of course.

xoxoxo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had been riding for a little over a week. Slowly I'd gotten used to riding and once again had a routine. For someone who was lost in a world completely foreign, this pattern was rather comforting. 

 Ride, find a job, practice sword fighting, ride on, camp out repeat.  

And it helped dissolve the odd times when items from my world randomly appeared. On the second day we traveled a penny lay at my feet in the morning. It started as small things but every few days a new thing appeared. Larger things.  It was starting to unnerve me but Eskel tired to keep my mind off it.

He had kept his promise and trained me. The first few days were rough. Just getting used to holding a sword was hard. Who knew it was so heavy.

Slowly, and with Eskel being a grueling instructor, I had improved. I couldn't best Eskel--I'm convinced no one can--but I did manage to hold my own. A few nights by a swamp had proved that. One less drowner to haunt the world.

The days had been mostly sunny. A few showers had not ruined the ever encroaching promise of green. Spring was in full swing. Unfortunately that all ended when we rode south towards Ard Carighe.

The sky became a gloomy grey. Cold winds ripped through the fresh blossoms tearing them to shreds. Small drops of rain began to patter into the worn dirt road.

I pulled my now patched jacket even tighter around myself. Shivering I leaned closer to my horse. We were in the last major town before Ard Carighe and the storm was already beginning to worsen. Eskel, stoic as ever, nodded towards an inn. 

"We'll have to stop for the night." He led the horses over the the stables. Tossing a coin to the scrawny stable-boy who immediately jumped and took our horses.

Grabbing my pack I followed Eskel closely. Stopping just short of the threshold, I flinched. The clamor of the crowds inside was overwhelming. Wooden chairs scraped against the floor. Clinks of drinks. Coins jangled. Shouts and laughter.

So far we had only been camping out. A few nights it had even rained. But I had not really been in an inn with so many people. Even the hiking trip was just a small crew.  After what had happened years ago, I was still not sure if I can do it... Forget it Cass! The past is the past. I shook my head.

Eskel was looking back at me. With a deep breath, we stepped into the inn.

The ruckus we could hear from outside slowly died down.  Silence.  Nudging one another people began to stop talking.  A hundred pairs of eyes immediately hit us, and I shrank.

"You know Eskel, camping out is still a viable option..." I squeaked, trying to hide behind his large frame.

He grunted and promptly walked up to the fat innkeeper at the bar. Not wanting to be alone here I tried to become his shadow.

A table of gamblers nearby sneered and returned to their game. Muttering. A few groups returned to their topics but in lower tones. Barmaids stunned but a moment returned to taking orders.