Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

"Professor McGonagall, you wanted to see me?" The professor looked up from her marking and put down her quill.

"Mr. Potter, have a seat." He sat in the seat across from her and helped himself to a cup of tea from the set that appeared before him. "I'm sure you're aware that I've had all of the other fifth year Gryffindors down here for career counseling. Do you have any ideas as to what you'd like to do after school? Any particular areas you'd like to focus on?"

Harry squirmed in his seat. Ever since he had found out what the other fifth years were being pulled aside for, he had spent a lot of time thinking over what he'd like to do. After Voldemort's demise, he suddenly had a lot of time on his hands to improve academically. All of his grades had skyrocketed-fueled by his extra time spent studying the subjects he had a harder time in. He found he had a particular liking for things that he didn't realize he liked. Charms was a hugely underrated subject-and so was potions for that matter.

"I have, actually. But..."

"Are you worried about what Mr. Weasley or Miss Granger will think?" She gave him a shrewd look and sipped her tea.

"I'm not worried about Hermione, you know how she is with people learning as much as possible. More that I'm worried about Ron. How'd you know?"

"Mr. Potter, I've been teaching longer than you've been alive. I know a thing or two about wanting your friends to approve of what subjects you take." He nodded and took a deep breath before answering her.

"I'd like to focus more on potions if I'm being honest. I haven't exactly put my best foot forward with all the...extra curricular activities I was getting into in the past and I'd like to actually try at it. Herbology too, for that matter. I never really tried, I just did enough to pass because I had other things going on."

"Is there anything else you'd like to put more focus on during your schooling? Any career ideas so far? I believe Mr. Weasley said he wished to be an Auror-is that something you're interested in as well?" He shook his head.

"I think I've seen enough of the bad guys, thanks. Can I think about it a little longer?"

"Oh yes, you can take time to think about it. After all, most young people don't truly know what they want to do until they're doing it. You can always take extra courses through the Ministry later if you decide upon something that requires extra knowledge. Here, take these," she handed him a few pamphlets. "They'll help guide you through major jobs and maybe open a door to something you wouldn't have thought of otherwise." He thanked her and continued on to the common room.

The next morning during breakfast, Ron was practically shovelling food into his mouth and attempting to talk to Harry and Hermione although they couldn't understand him.

"Ron, swallow first and then talk. Even I don't know what you're on about." He swallowed and rolled his eyes before talking once more.

"I was just talking about how awful it is that we have double potions first thing today. It's just not right. Ruins a perfectly good Wednesday being around the greasy-haired jerk." Harry put down his toast, suddenly not so hungry anymore.

"It isn't that bad Ron. And for your information, people around potions fumes as often as he is have to use a protective charm that surrounds their entire person to protect them from unwanted effects over long periods of time. An unfortunate side effect, is the person under this charm then appears to look greasy no matter how clean they actually are. Lay off already." He grabbed his bag and stormed off through the double doors leaving half of the Gryffindor table silent in shock.