Chapter 14

Harry had just returned to the courtyard with two large baskets full of fresh roses from the western grounds when he spotted the drying racks he had forgotten to bring. Severus must have brought them for him while he was on the grounds.

Preparing flowers for potions was one of his favourite things to do. It wasn't complicated work and allowed him to live in the moment without worrying about what to do next. He plucked all the petals off, washed them, and spread them around on the drying racks before moving onto the leaves and thorns. He was mostly done when Severus appeared.

"Pomona's beside herself with joy. She's only just now managed to get her greenhouses under control once more."

"Really? I thought she would have gotten done sooner. Did you get any more unicorn hair from the forest?"

"Last night. I had a hard time sleeping." Harry looked up and really looked at Severus. His eyes had bags and he had a sallow look to him.

"You're hungry." Harry's voice was hard, this wasn't the first time they'd had this conversation.

"It's of no consequence." Harry sighed and resisted the urge to rub his face in frustration.

"We need to talk about this. So you're going to sit down and you're going to have this discussion with me. I'm not taking no for an answer." He must have realized he wasn't going to get anywhere and sat down on a large rock before motioning for Harry to continue.

"Listen, school starts in...what? Two months? Less? You've only fed from me twice since the ritual-regardless of my protesting you starving yourself! Rare steak will only get you so far. What are we going to do once school starts? You can't keep doing this, you'll have to feed daily to not be a danger to the students here. You'll be around too much blood to resist if someone should have an accident or get a nosebleed. Hell, I even saw you eyeballing the dragon's blood I had out yesterday. This can't continue the way it is Severus. You've got to tell me why you're resisting so hard."

Severus thought for a long while before finally answering him in a soft voice.

"I appreciate your concern, really I do. And I do understand where you're coming from. But drinking blood is a highly arousing thing, you experienced it yourself. That arousal is not one sided and I'm afraid I don't have as much control as I should when it comes to you. If I claim you before you finish your apprenticeship, then you'll be looking at an extension of several years before we'll even think to leave our abode. I simply cannot ask that of you."

Harry felt his anger recede and give way to understanding.

"Severus, be honest with me. How much longer do you think I need to go before I'm realistically ready to take the tests at this rate? A year? Five? The most trouble I had was understanding the different ingredients. Once I started learning more about the ingredients and their properties, it sort of clicked in my head what to do and when."

"I'd have to review what they test on first, but to only learn enough to take the test-"

"Would be a disgrace to the art of brewing. I know. Which is why you'd continue to teach me until you're satisfied-I just won't officially be your apprentice anymore. But if I obtain my masters, you can claim me and from then on you'll be able to teach me anything you like. And I do mean anything, Severus." The man growled and grabbed Harry's robe before pulling him down into his lap. Before Harry could process what had happened, Severus's mouth was on his neck, teeth sunken into his skin, and arousal burned through his veins.

Harry came a few moments later, completely untouched.

Severus gently cleaned Harry's neck up and healed the small puncture wounds before holding him close.