Chapter 7

After a rather lengthy time of Harry being poked and prodded by measuring tapes, Snape finally bid the shopkeeper a good day. Deciding to let his curiosity get the better of him, Harry slowed their walk.

"Do I get to ask what it is you've ordered? I'll admit, I'd love to know what could have been so lucrative that you have to wait a week before it all can be owled to us."

"Apprentice robes are typically easy to get done relatively quickly. Since you're dealing with potions, you need many more protection spells woven into the material. For example, you wouldn't want to be brewing a potion that will melt fabric if you accidentally grabbed your robes that are impervious to explosions, would you?" Harry shook his head. "The amount of spellwork that goes into them is expansive and covers anything and everything you could possibly imagine. It's not so much the embroidery or the tailor work that takes as long as the spells that will protect you."

"Embroidery, sir?"

"Of course. It's considered a great honour to bear the mark of their master for the subject they've chosen to apprentice in. Once you become a master you can create yourself a crest, usually with the master who trained you. Then after your mastery exams, if you pass, the society will present you with a gift that bears your crest. And no, you cannot ask me what the gift is. It's something personal to everyone and is usually designed and created by their master."

Their shopping done at the apothecary, they made their way back to the castle. It was quieter than Harry had expected it to be, although the soft voices floating down the hallway from the staff room made the castle seem less empty.

To his surprise, Snape went to the staff room and motioned for him to follow with a smirk on his face.

"Ah, Minnie, just the lucky lass I was hoping to see today." Professor McGonagall turned and smiled at the potions professor.

"Severus, don't be such a stranger. We were just about to partake in the usual after-school festivities!"

"I wonder, would you mind if I shared some news before you indulge in too much scotch?" The woman's eyes lit up and she gave him her complete attention.

"Well, what is it? Don't tease me, Severus!"

"I might have taken-"

"Oh, you've got yourself a lover! Finally, it's been far too long for you my friend." Snape cleared his throat and turned away from the transfiguration teacher just enough that Harry could see a blush growing on his cheeks.

"Minnie, please. I've taken an apprentice." The pleasant chatter from other teachers around the room stopped and McGonagall dropped her glass. The shattering crystal echoed against the walls as her mouth practically hung open.

"Truly?" Although she was whispering, her voice sounded as loud as an avalanche in the silence. Snape nodded. "Who?" Without a word, Snape stepped to the side and motioned for Harry to stand next to him.

A beat passed and the entire room erupted in cheers. The two men were pushed against one another as the staff crowded around them in an attempt to squeeze the life from them and then McGonagall's voice rang out as she held a bottle of liquor above her head.

"Let's take some shots to celebrate!"

Harry stared at the staff members, unable to process that they were all now crowded around McGonagall with shot glasses to have them filled.

"Minnie, have you finally lost the plot? Shots of scotch? You'll ruin me before I have a chance to attempt to get back to my bed tonight! At least give me the notion that I might make it to my sheets this year!" If Harry's jaw could drop further at Snape's words, then it would have. From the way Snape was acting, it seemed this teasing behaviour was normal for him, at least during the last staff party of the year.