Chapter 20

To say that Harry was exhausted was an understatement. He had been getting up every few hours religiously to make sure Vivian was well fed and soothed back to sleep and was looking forward to the days that she could sleep for a bit longer between feedings. Severus had already suggested that Harry consider preserving his milk so Severus can feed her some nights but Harry had remained insistent that he wanted to get up with her.

He was starting to think that Severus had a point. He was losing his focus with basic things and had caught himself leaving his wand where his toothbrush belonged and tried to summon Vivian's favourite blanket with his comb. Upon reflection, he had no idea what happened to the toothbrush.

Giving in to defeat, and presuming the toothbrush had disappeared into a black hole, Harry plopped himself into his rocker and propped his feet up before softly calling for Severus. Their daughter was content in his arms and was happily suckling away while gazing at him with those incredibly intelligent eyes. Severus sat in the other rocker and reached out to hold Harry's free hand.

"I think you were right." He gestured to the comb on the table. "Somehow I thought that was my wand, which I'm pretty sure I had confused with my toothbrush earlier."

Chuckling, Severus replied, "Are you finally considering preserving your milk to have a night off?" Harry nodded. "I'm sure there's a spell written down in one of those books you purchased. I'll search through them later. You deserve some continuous rest, you've been without it for far too long."

"Thank you," Harry's voice was filled with gratitude and relief. He hadn't wanted to admit that Severus had brought up good points when the subject was originally broached, but he was too tired to care at the moment. "When did you want the Weasleys to come? Hermione told me they're practically itching with the idea that they haven't met Vivian yet but she's holding them off."

"I believe it's best to have them over once you sleep through the night. We don't want Molly thinking she's allowed to commandeer our child before she's even a month old."

Harry agreed. He knew Molly would mean well, but he wanted to be able to parent his child on his own and with as opinionated as she could be, he wasn't sure it would be easy keeping her to their rules and not her own.

"I truly can't believe I'm lucky enough to have you two in my life." The sudden declaration jarred Harry from his half-awake musings on Molly's parenting style.

"Where'd that come from?"

"My heart, shriveled though it may be. I'm still shocked that you were willing to gift me with such a beautiful daughter-and with yourself as well." Harry shrugged and stifled a yawn.

"I'm convinced she'll have your eyes. They're far too shrewd for being so young."

"At least she's got your nose. Mine is far too obtrusive for such a delicate little flower."

"And her hair? You'd better hope she didn't get this mess, it misbehaves on even the best of days. Even spells can't tame the monstrosity."

"Yes, but I'm willing to bet if you'd grow your hair out it would curl quite beautifully. I would imagine that would be desirable for a young girl." Severus stood and kissed them each on the head before offering to burp her before putting her down again. Harry smiled and handed her over. He watched as Severus coaxed an air bubble from her and laid her down in her crib. They made their way to their bedroom once she had settled and held each other under the covers as blissful sleep took them.

"Oh Harry, it's so good to see you! How's the baby?" A sea of red hair followed Molly out of the fireplace, filling their living room. Harry had been happily dozing on the couch when the floo flared to life and he sat up.