Chapter 12

“So what did you learn while you were away?” Harry made his way to their kitchenette to make some coffee while he waited for Severus to answer.

“I learned a great many things, but first I have a question that requires an honest answer. Did you miss me?” 

Harry turned, the familiar ache he had when Severus wasn’t around flaring. “I think I’ve missed you far more than you think I did. I was able to push myself so far beyond my normal limits that I wouldn’t have time to think about it too much, but I did miss you. Very much. Did you miss me?”

“It was unbearable to be so far away for so long. Have you made any plans?” 

“No, I thought you would want to talk when you returned. I told Filius that they would have to reschedule the end of term party for at least a week since I wasn’t sure when you’d be back.”

“Good. Come sit with me, we’ve much to discuss.” They sat down on the sofa with Harry’s feet propped up on Severus’s lap, each with their own cup of coffee.

“The elders I talked to were able to explain a lot of what has been happening and what inevitably will happen in the future as well. As I’ve told you before, the monster part of us chooses potential mates once you’ve opened your mind-at least subconsciously-to the idea of being with someone romantically. Some of us consider multiple people at a time, to have our pick so to speak. And others only consider one at a time. Since I’m a rather private person, it would appear that I’m more of a singularly focused sort.

“Once our intentions are made known, which do include telling the person what they are, the potential mate is then allowed to choose if that’s what they want or if they want to pursue other avenues. Acceptance leads to further progress, which I’ll cover later, while denial results in the vampire being able to move on either to the next option or to recover before they’re ready to try once more. It does take some time for them to recover though; it’s quite a blow to us, but they do recover and are able to move forward without any negative consequences. 

“Moving forward includes courting, wooing and romance in most cases. Depending on the person, it can be quite traditional or more...laid back, so to speak.”

“I’m presuming you’d be the traditional sort.”

“Maybe not so traditional as to require chaperones, but you’ve got the right idea. I grew up in a time where traditions and proprietary actions were held above all else. Regardless, there’s no time restraints. It’s purely up to how well the pair are doing and how quickly or slowly works for them. 

“Then there’s the rituals.” The pause is what made Harry nervous.

“What’s that include?”

“The first is called Intentio Ritum. It’s the Rite of Intention, designed to allow the wild magics around us that we are intending on taking our relationship further. It’s not as formal as other rites are, and doesn’t require any prep. Only verbally acknowledging our intentions are a prerequisite. 

“The next can happen either right away or you can wait. It’s the Rituale Ractionem. The Ritual of Surrender. The vampire surrenders all rights to feed-including potions-to their mate and the mate surrenders their blood to the vampire to keep them alive. This ritual on its own is commonly used for repeat donors. The magic surrounding it prevents the vampire from marking the mate prematurely. It shows the dedication between the two, for each is giving up their right to live to the other. In effect, you would be able to starve me just as I could easily drain you completely when you do allow permission. It requires absolute trust if you’ve prefaced it with the Rite of Intention in order for it to work.”