A lil less storm-y

It was nearing 7.00 in the morning and I just landed.
My eyes were so swollen from a combination of crying and a lack of sleep.
The fact that I was exhausted right now didn't change my mindset about going straight to the hospital from the airport.
I just needed to see my mama and hug her, hold my dad's hand and talk to him even if he can't hear me.

I sat at the waiting chairs after getting my lagguage and decided to call my mom to see how far she was-saying I was enxious was an understatement right now.
My phone went straight to voice mail and I figured she was probably driving when I saw her walking towards me at a short distance.
She always had that effortlessly royal beauty to her, although I could tell she wasn't the same - she just didn't have that spark in her eyes any more and she lost abit of weight.

"Baby Vee!"
She said while hurringly rushing to hug me.

"mama..."
My voice broke as I spoke... I swear I'm not usually a crybaby ya'll, but I just couldn't help my tears from falling.

"I missed u so much, we missed u so much even your father - have u been eating, u look thinner but just as beautiful baby"

I chuckled at her antiques, my mama means the world to me ya'll.
" yeah mama I've been good, dads situation is just really taking a toll on me. It's not fair mama, why do bad things always happen to good people..."
I hugged her and inhaled her scent for a moment.
For a while I just wanted to get the feel of being close to home again and I was finally getting that.

" I know baby.... I know.
Sometimes things happen and we never understand why. But we just have to have faith your father  won't live us, he can't live us ..."

I smiled at her before wiping my tears
"I know, come on mama let's go..."

****

We got to the hospital and my aunt Samantha was there.
She was heading out cos she needed to get to work.
We were currently in the waiting room while the nurse was doing a procedure check up on my dad. When she was done she told us that we could go in 1 person at a time.
I'm guessing his condition hasn't improved since she didn't say anything on that and I just didn't have anything left in me to cry at this point.

"You can go in first baby, you haven't seen your father in ages"

I slowly nodded and stood up heading for the room.
When I got to the door, I swear I needed more strength to open it then I thought. Deep down I just wasn't ready to see him laying there.
I closed my eyes and opened the door.
He looked more peaceful than I imagined him to be.
I stood there just starring at him for a while before finally gathering up the courage to sit next to him.
I held onto his hand and I had so much to say when I walked in here but I didn't know what to say at this moment.
"Dad....... You mean the world to me and you know that. You taught me to be strong, to take things in stride and continue moving.
But this is the 1 thing I can't handle, I don't wanna lose you yet. Kaiden needs you too. And you and mama still need to meet your grandchildren. "

I chuckled at my last statement when my mama walked in" Am I interrupting "
She asked with a weak smile.
" No, I was just talking to him."

We stayed in my father's room all day and just talked about everything.
We didn't even realise it was getting dark.
I'm glad I had this talk with my mama though, cos I was honestly in a much better place mentally.

We got home at around 9.00.
"You want us to cook something, I know you miss eating good."
"of course mama..."
I chuckled "You know your daughter huh?"
"What kind of mother would I be if I didn't...
Okay let's start before your aunty and Kaiden get here."
Kaiden went to aunt Samantha's house after school cos mama was spending so much time at the hospital.

After making fried chucked, Mac n cheese and corn.
Kaiden and Samantha came over and we had a relatively good family dinner, something I missed.
****

I laid in in my bed and I just wanted to be in my feelings so I was listening to Meghan Trainor like I'm gonna lose you when my my phone started ringing.
Irritated I answered without even checking the caller ID. "Yeah..."

"Vee, you landed safely."
It was Devon and I instantly felled a rush of warmth flow over me.
"Yeah I did... thanks, and you... You good?"
"Uhm yeah I am. Just wanted to make sure you was good."
"I saw him and I don't feel as down as I thought I would be...Im just not sure if that's a good thing. It's almost like I'm getting immune to the pain."
"Yeah, thats more then good -means you're getting stronger...
I miss you though."
I whisper laughed at his statement but I guess he heard me.
"I'm being foreal, I dont wanna be insensitive to your pops though. I'm just telling u how I feel."
I was low key blushing right now but he didn't need to know that.
"Devon-friends, isn't that what I...?"
I was cutoff by my mama calling for me downstairs.
"Mama's calling me okay,I'll call u back"
"aight, I'll be waiting on you."

I hung up the phone and made my way downstairs. My mama was standing at the bottom of the stairs holding a phone in her hand and I couldn't exactly makeout weather she was crying, praying or... I don't know.
"mama is everything okay..."
"N-no I mean yes baby, the hospital called and said your father came out the comma just after we left the hospital and he's doing much better, he's gonna start responding by tomorrow."
I was at a loss for words and all I could do was hug my mama right now.
" We'll go see him first thing tommorow okay. Go get some rest baby. "
" I'm so grateful we have him back mama. I love you okay, goodnight. "
" I love u too baby."

I got to my room and I supprisingly called Devon back,he answered on the third ring.
"Devon.."
"Yeah, is everything good, any news?"

"yeah, he's much better... Way better actually. Im just so happy D."
"I'm glad  Vee, I don't even know your pops but he deserves to live longer if he gave birth to someone as beautiful as you are.."
"Joh, can you stop tryna make me blush"
He chuckled at my defense "I'm not though I'm just telling my truth...
When you coming back"
"I'll be back in a day, I gotta catch up with school so as much as I wanna stay I can't afford to"
"Aight, good so we can hangout sooner..."
"I'll think bout it.."
"Come on Vee stop playing.."
"I'm not playin foreal... I'm tryna get some sleep though."
I don't even know why I was giving him a hard time, but my walls weren't lowered yet.
****
Next morning

We all decided to spend the day at the hospital with my dad, even Kaiden skipped school for today. I just wanted one last day with my family before I left again.
In a sense I was more excited to go back to school then usual and I know it's not only because my dad recovered or cos I missed Cammy. There was something else that was pulling me to feel this way and as much as I'm fighting it-I know it's Devon.

A/N:Filler chapter-next chapter will be better. Pls Vote and comment 😊