Chapter 13

Peeta's P.O.V.

Oh my god, I'm a father now. I'm a dad, I have a daughter. The adrenaline runs through my veins and excitement and shock rush through me all at once. Every emotion fills me, my expressions make me look crazy. But I don't care, I couldn't be happier. I got a ring a few hours ago saying that Katniss gave birth to Ruby. My mind exploded with joy when I heard this. But then I was, and still am, filled with shame because I wasn't there to witness it. Ugh, I couldn't have been more incompetent. I park my car into the driveway, then rush out and run to the front door of Katniss's house. I knock, and a lady I haven't seen before opens it for me.

"Uh, hi! You must be Peeta Mellark, yes?" She asks.

"Yes, I am. And who might you be?" I ask back.

"I'm Molly, the midwife. I don't know if Katniss has talked to you about me, but I'm here to take care of Ruby. Please, come in." She smiles. She then moves to the side to let me in. "Everything seems to be fine with both of them. She did faint, but she's awake and doing much better. Now she is just recovering. Have her call if there is anything wrong, alright?"

"Of course. I will." I say.

I walk inside, and see Katniss sitting on the floor with our precious Ruby in her arms. I don't cry, but small droplets lay on my eyelids. I rush over and hug them, seeing Ruby for the first time. She looks so beautiful, so similar to Katniss. She has small sky blue eyes like mine, but small dark hairs like her Mother on her head. Which is so cute.

"She's adorable, Babe." I say.

"Yeah, yeah she is." She smiles softly back. I raise my finger above Ruby's small hand. She grabs it and plays with it like it's a strange new toy she's found.

"She has your blue eyes." Katniss says and smiles to me.

"And she has your bubbly personality." I scoff.

Ruby looks up at me with her sweet, blue eyes as she holds her arms up towards me, asking me to pick her up. I do so, gently, of course, and she grabs the front of my button-up shirt, making me chuckle slightly. Katniss laughs quietly along with me and I look up at her, her eyes are lit up with genuine joy and pride at her, and my, daughter.

'Should we give her a middle name?' I ask her quietly.

Katniss nods, 'yeah. But what should it be?'

I think for a moment and then it hits me, the perfect middle name.

'Dani! The spelling's the female version!' I grin.

'Dani, like Danny from Hollywood Undead?' She asks me, 'perfect!'

But suddenly she clutches her chest and gasps for air before going weak and passing out.

'Kat? Kit-Kat?' My voice goes shrill with worry as I try to wake up, 'baby, answer me!'

I reach for the phone in my pocket and dial 911.

'911, what's your emergency?' The woman on the other side asks me.

'I think my girlfriend just had a heart attack and passed out!' My voice is still shrill with panic, fear and worry.

'What's your address, sir?' The operator asks me.

'1657 W Oaks St. Can you hurry? I've got a day old daughter with me.' I say while cradling Ruby in my arms.

'The ambulance is on its way, sir, they're going as fast as the law will allow.' The dispatcher reassures me, 'is your girlfriend breathing?'

I place the back of my hand close to her open mouth. Phew. She's breathing. Knowing this takes a bit of weight off my shoulders.