Chapter 23

Katniss's P.O.V.

~Prim's Fifteenth Birthday~

"What do you think, Kat?" Peeta asks me and puts the last ripe strawberry on the cake

I look over at it from the table. I smile.

"It's perfect. She'll love it." I say and go back to wrapping all of Prim's gifts.

I can't believe how much my Little Duck has grown up. She's fifteen today. I have been a sister for fifteen years. I still remember being told that I was going to have a little sister. I was so excited. And I will always love that girl. She's had to grow up too fast for my taste. But she is an amazing young woman. And will make a great doctor when she is older. She's so kind, and generous and so beautiful. I hope these attributes stay with her well into her whole life. She means the world to me, and I don't want anything different. I hear Ruby giggling on the ground. I look down and find her putting gift bows on Arlo and Buttercup. I laugh a little and finish wrapping Prim's presents.

"Her cake is done and in the fridge." Preeta says.

"Good. We'll enjoy it later." I say.

We can suddenly hear voices come from the front of the house. It is Prim and someone else. I can't tell what they are saying, but they are angry for sure. Prim yells something at them, then the door slams. I get up and go check on her.

"Prim?" I say.

When I go into the living room, she bolts up the stairs past me, crying. I go upstairs with her. She slams her bedroom door behind her when she goes in. I hear the click of the lock. I hesitate for a moment. I can hear her crying in her room. I gently knock on the door.

"Little Duck, what happened?" I ask.

"Go away, Katniss! I don't want to talk about it!" She cries.

"Can I come in, please Prim?" I ask.

She doesn't answer and goes on crying.

I sigh and go to my room. I open my dresser and get the key to her door. I go back and open her door. Prim has herself buried in her pillows, clinging to them as she cries. I sit down beside her.

"What's going on, Prim? What's wrong? Talk to me.." I say and rub her arm soothingly.

She sits up and looks at me. Her tears make my heart break. She wipes away her make-up and hugs me tightly.

"Kyler.....broke up with me!!" She cries into me.

"Oh, Prim.." I sigh.

I rub her head and try to soothe her. I never hoped for this to happen to her. Her heart has been broken so much in the past. She was so careful not to give it away after Mom. But when someone had it, I was so happy for her. Now that it is broken again, it hurts me as well.