Chapter 35

Peeta's P.O.V.

A commotion is coming not far from where I am. People are shouting at someone to stay awake, that help will arrive soon. I want to go see what's going on but the cops are refusing entrance to anyone.

An ambulance roars past me and stops just behind the crowd. Two paramedics get out and lift the person off the floor and take them to the back of the ambulance. I realize who it is. Katniss. I'm about to run to her until something that smells like chloroform is placed over my mouth, knocking me out instantly.

~

Danny's P.O.V.

Me and Reese climb into the back of the ambulance. Katniss is still out cold. I haven't seen Peeta at all, yet. He must've realized something's happened. I check my phone. Zero messages, zero missed calls. Nothing, nothing at all.

'Have you seen Peeta, by any chance?' I ask Reese.

She shakes her head, 'nope.'

My phone bleeps with three messages from Dylan, Jordon, and Jorel.

Have you seen Kat? She should be home by now...- Dylan

HELP I'M BEING LICKED TO DEATH BY A DOG- Jordon

SEND HELP JORDON'S BEING ATTACKED- Jorel

I roll my eyes and delete Jorel and Jordon's notifications off my phone until Dylans' is left

So have you seen Kat or not?- Dyl.

                                                                                  Yup. In an ambulance, that is.

Holy shit. She ok?

                                                                                   I don't know. She's out cold in an ambulance right now.

What happened?

                                                She ran and tripped and hit her head on the floor or something, I don't know.

Need me to meet you up there?

                                                    No it's fine. I'll try and get a hold of Peeta. I have no idea where he's at.

Oh. Ok. Keep me posted.

                                                                                                                                                                        Will do.

I put my phone back in my pocket and sat in silence for the rest of the journey to the hospital. It's not a long ride at all, five or ten minutes at the most. Katniss is still out cold. She looks God-awful. She's covered in blood and is beaten the hell up it seems, or just from the fall. I don't know. Whatever happened... they better hope to God that they don't come around and touch her again. The ambulance stops and then she's taken into the hospital. I hope we never have to come back here unless absolutely necessary. This is too much. She can't. No one can anymore.. She can keep getting hurt.. And I will make sure of it. No matter what happens.

~ Few Hours Later ~

"Are you the family of Katniss Mellark?"

A Doctor comes the way to Reese and I. We both stand up.

"Yeah.. uh. We are. Is she okay?" I ask.

"She is for now. Surprisingly, alive.." They say.

"What does that mean?" I ask.