Company

My mind isn't very clear, and I can feel the tears well up as the thought grazes my mind. I won't cry here on this bus, not in public. I swiftly take out my phone and text my girlfriend to ask if it's okay if we don't talk much. She replies in the blink of an eye to say it's fine, and she loves me. 

I return the phrase, and sniff slightly as I get off the bus and walk to the other side of the remote road, over onto the sand. I watch her silhouette as I walk closer, my feet sinking into the sand; she's staring so peacefully out at the sea, and it's such a beautiful image, I don't really want to break that peace, but I told her I would be there. It's too late to back out now anyway, she's noticed me with a gentle smile, and she pats the section of the rock she's sitting on as I get closer. 

I sit down very close to her, our thighs pressed against each other's as she leans forward to kiss my forehead. I let my head fall softly onto her shoulder, and she wipes a single tear of mine away, and only then does the ocean fall from my eyes. 

I don't bother to wipe my tears away, I just stare blankly at the sand, my mind circling around my hectic thoughts. She's gone. I'm sad. She's gone. I miss her so much. I feel so bad for everyone else who lost her. She's gone. My girlfriend has pressed her chest against my back as I cry softly, her arms wrapping around me tightly in a tender embrace. I'm so lucky.

I let the time pass gently, and eventually my tears subside, and a while after that my girlfriend simply asks:

"How you doing right now?" Her voice is soft and controlled, but when I speak I'm much more of a mess.

"I'm okay. I'm sorry to dump my mess on you,"

"It's okay. I want you to be okay. I want you to be happy. We don't have to talk, and we don't have to not talk. It's your choice. What do you want to do?"

She's so kind, and always considers me. I'm a very lucky person. I let a smile breach the sorrow of my face as I speak:

"I just want your company."