Chapter Three: The Tiny Dancer and the Fashion Victim

It had been about a week since that incident at the comic store. In that time, Cooper had barely let you out of his sight. He didn't want you sneaking off to see the Frog Brothers. You had a plan to go to the boardwalk, though. Earlier in the week, you told him that your new school, The Santa Carla School of Performing Arts, was having a New Student Welcome Day, and that you wanted to go. Cooper said that it was fine, and even allowed you to walk since the school was so close to the house. This gave you the perfect opportunity to get to the comic store.

That day, it was a sunny Wednesday afternoon, and Cooper was setting up some surfboards outside the shoppe.

You exited the shoppe and said, "Hey Cooper, I'm going to head over to the school now. I'll be home around 5:00."

"Sounds good," Cooper said, "Just be careful, okay?"

"I will, see you later, Coop," you said.

Cooper responded, "See you later, kiddo."

As soon as you were sure Cooper wasn't looking, you ran down the boardwalk to where Frog Comics was. You moved quickly in order to make sure that Cooper wouldn't catch you. Soon enough, you were standing in front of the comic store. You took a deep breath before walking in.

You saw Alan restocking the shelves, his back turned to you. You walked over to where he was standing and gently tapped him on the shoulder.  He turned around and gave you a smile when he saw you.

"You're back," he said, sounding a little surprised.

"I am," you said, "I wanted to pick up the newest Batman and Spider-Man."

Alan smiled once more before leading you to the corner of the store, "Right this way."

"You seem a little surprised to see me," you said as you followed him.

Alan shrugged as he turned around to you, "I'm surprised your brother let you come here."

"My brother doesn't control my life," you said, "Plus, he doesn't exactly know that I'm here right now."

Alan chuckled a little bit at this before hesitantly saying, "My guess is he told you what happened between us and him?"

"He might have mentioned that you tried to drive a wooden stake through his chest," you told him.

Alan looked down at his feet, clearly embarrassed. He rubbed the back of his neck before saying, "Listen, I'm really sorry about that."

"No hard feelings here. I'm not the one you tried to stake. Cooper might have a bit of a different story though," you said with laughter in your voice.

Alan laughed a little bit at that too, "Yeah, I've been meaning to apologize to him. I've just haven't had the opportunity. He's, understandably, not too keen on speaking to me."

You laughed again before asking him, "I have to ask: what exactly made you and Edgar think Cooper's a vampire?"

Alan hesitated before answering, "We only ever saw him walking the boardwalk at night. He was never out during the day. That's classic vampire behavior. Edgar and I got a little ahead of ourselves and assumed the worst."

You couldn't help but laugh at that, "You do realize Cooper is addicted to surfing, right? He pretty much spends all day in the water or running the surf shoppe. The only time he has to visit the boardwalk is after dark."

Alan nodded at that, "Yeah, I know that now. That would've been good information to have at the time."

  You giggled at that, "I wouldn't blame you for thinking that Cooper's a vampire, though. He's pretty moody a lot of the time. That's typical vampire behavior, right?"