Chapter Six: Dinner With the Emerson Boys

You were helping Cooper get ready for dinner that evening. His friend Michael, along with his girlfriend and his little brother, were coming over for dinner. Cooper and you and decided to have dinner outside on the back porch. You had just finished setting the table, and starting making a pitcher of strawberry lemonade while Cooper was getting the grill ready. You had just placed the pitcher of the homemade strawberry lemonade on the table when there was a knock on the front door, right as the sun was beginning to set.

You and Cooper both went to the front door to answer it. When Cooper opened the door, you saw three people standing there. One was a tall muscular guy, close to Cooper's age with brown curly hair and green eyes. You assumed that was Michael. There was a beautiful girl standing next to him, who had to be his girlfriend, with long brown hair. You felt a wave of shock go through your body when you saw the other boy, Michael's little brother. It was Sam, the boy who had met for a brief moment at Frog Comics. He seemed to recognize you as he gave you a wide smile. You smiled back at him.

"Hey Michael, what's going on?" Cooper greeted his friend as he pulled him into a bro hug.

Michael responded, "It's good to see you, man."

Cooper moved out of the way to let Michael, Sam, and Michael's girlfriend inside. Cooper gave Michael's girlfriend a quick hug and said, "Good to see you, Star."

"Nice to see you too, Cooper," she responded.

Cooper put a hand on Michael's shoulder and pointed to you while saying, "Mike, this is my baby sister, y/n."

"Ah, you're the famous y/n I'm always hearing about," Michael said with a smile.

"That would be me," you responded with a smile as well, "It's nice to meet you, Michael."

Michael gave you a hug and said, "It's nice to meet you too."

When Michael pulled away his girlfriend came up to you and greeted also you with a hug, "Hi, I'm Star. I'm Michael's girlfriend."

"I'm y/n, it's nice to meet you," you said, returned the hug.

Star pulled away and smiled at you saying, "You as well."

Michael then pointed to Sam and said, "That's my kid brother, Sam."

"Nice to see you again, y/n," Sam said, giving you a quick hug.

You responded by saying, "It's nice to see you again, too."

"You've two met before?" Cooper asked.

You answered, "We've met once before, actually."

Sam started to say, "Yeah, we met at-"

"The boardwalk," said, cutting Sam off.

Sam looked at you with a confused look. What you were saying wasn't a total lie, but it was definitely not the full truth. You gave Sam a look that let him know not to say anything else. It wasn't a threatening look; more like a desperate look that was pleading for help.

Sam seemed to get the idea because he nodded and said, "Yeah, we met a few days ago."

Michael and Cooper smirked a little bit at each other before Michael said, "Isn't that cute."

Cooper then clapped his hands together before saying, "Well, The burgers should be ready any minute now, so I suggest we go out to the porch."

Star and Michale followed your brother out to the porch. Sam was about to follow them, but you gently grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Thanks so much for covering for me, Sam," you said.

"No problem," Sam responded, "But why exactly can't I mention the fact that we met at Frog Comics?"