Chapter 4

While I was recovering from that hell, David stopped by every day to come and see me, making sure I was getting better. He would bring me food and let me lie my head in his lap until I went to sleep.

Him being by my side made me feel... Happy.

When he wasn't by my side, part of me missed him. I was going to become an alcoholic if I was developing actual feelings for him, besides, my hormones weren't normal so that's probably why I felt this way.

"Have you found a new place to live yet?" He stroked my hair as I laid on his chest, listening to his calm heartbeat.

"Not yet, I'm trying to figure out a way to move without breaking my lease."

"Inform them of your situation, they'll have to let you break it due to your safety being at risk."

"I'll call them tomorrow, I'm just wondering how I'll move out all my furniture. Maybe I'll have them deliver it somewhere else than to wherever I move afterward."

Once again I was running from the man of my nightmares. I was tired, why can't just leave me alone and let me go.

"He really put all these markings on your back..." David's hand traced every scare that had been left on me by Kyle. Saying nothing, just closing my eyes listening to his heartbeat, dreading the moment he'd trace too far and find-

"He cut his name into you, "

The beating of his heart increased as rage mixed with disgust set in. He had never really seen the entirety of my back. I always came up with a reason to hide it, whether it was just doing missionary or keeping a shirt or robe on, this time I was too tired to hide it from him. I was tired of hiding the pain he's caused me and the scars he left so I'd forever remember him.

I was tagged, marked, imprinted on, branded, desecrated.

The prey that was wounded just in case it ever got away.

"Are you really that surprised? Has he never told you, or even shown you his true nature?"

"As I said, we were nothing more than business associates, we also were close due to my father thinking of him as another son, he respected his drive and work ethic. Yes, we hung out periodically, we've attended events together, but I do not make friends."

"So not once has that creature shown you how he was? Not even that day that all happened and I left? Had you not questioned why I was so fearful?"

"He told me you were into that kind of thing and to play along, as you confirmed yourself by speaking to anyone who has ever been with me, I do not abuse, I do no do anything that they don't want me to. I'd never go out my way to hurt or torment a woman. I simply don't have the heart for it."

It still catches me off-guard that this man is genuinely kindhearted and not a crazy, abusive, bastard.

It's still a revelation.

"May I ask a question?" Burying my face into his chest, too embarrassed to look at him.

"Of course,"

"Why are you here with me? You don't have to be, we were nothing more than two people who were fucking, I was using you to fill a void in me, you were just an outlet for my frustrations. Yet, here you are, calming me and letting me lie on your chest."

"You think I didn't know that?"

"What?"

"I knew the entire time, it wasn't something that was hidden well, I could tell that you just needed someone to make you feel, yet provide you with enough freedom so you won't feel suffocated. In a way, I was making up for that day the best I could." His heart rate increased as he continued to speak, his response wasn't what I expected.

"Like when you tried to hide who you were, then, you stepped into my office that day. I was shocked, you looked so different... You looked happy for once until you saw me, your expression seemed to be filled anguish and distress. I thought I was just hallucinating until you had spoken. That was the moment I knew it was you, Olivia. The hesitation in your voice made me feel like you were still frightened of me. I understood why, so when you denied your identity after I called out your name I went along with it. But that night, that horribly enraging night at the charity dinner, the fear in your face when he spoke your name. That was the day I realized how sick he was." Taking a deep sigh, I said nothing, I knew he was going to speak again so I didn't interrupt him with my useless dialog. David's tone was packed with so many emotions as like he's been wanting to get these thoughts off his mind for a while.

"The bastard sat down beside me with a sadistic smile and began to go on and on about how he had wanted you to pay for leaving him. Making jokes about marking you again, carving his full name across your back and putting his initials on your breast. He went on and on, in more gruesome details, his eyes lit up the entire time as if he was talking about something so passionate and alluring. The bastard makes me sick! I've never seen someone so hell-bent on making someone else suffer and be in pain. I felt sick to my stomach."

His heartbeat was erratic like he had finally taken a break from running in a marathon; the grip David had on me had tightened slowly.

I was in shock.

"The entire time he spoke, all I wanted to do from that moment on was protect you from him... I genuinely care about you and your well being, because I suddenly feel in love with you over these few months. And the day you disappeared from the office I worried like hell because I knew he was here in the city, that if he found you my biggest nightmare might come true... I don't want to lose you, I know after hearing this you might want to cut me off and find someone else, but I had to get this off my chest."

Yet another man, fallen in love with a broken woman like me... I'll never understand why.