Chapter One

Chapter One

There was a quiet breeze that riffled through Maddie’s hair as she sat on the front porch with her feet propped up on the brown wicker table topped with glass. There were magazines and candles strategically placed with coasters and empty plastic cups. She held her computer on her lap and watched the few cars drive by. Three o’clock in the morning was surely an awkward time to either be leaving home or coming home.

She pushed her glasses back up onto her face as she typed her paper. Distracted, she clicked on a Facebook page about her. Usually, she always found nice ones. It boosted her confidence and she held her head a little higher. But, this one was different. It was a bunch of kids from dance hating on her. She shook her head and switched back to her Word document. She finished typing her paper and printed it out to the wireless printer. She switched back to the Facebook page, just wanting to take a peek.

Caroline Mandel
She’s such a whore I can’t even handle it!

Davey Richards
I heard she’s slept with every boy at the studio!

            Caroline Mandel
            LOL!

Elizabeth Davis
This page is PERFECT

Maddie slammed her laptop closed as tears streamed down her face. She set her computer back down onto the table before standing up and walking back inside. She walked up the stairs to her bedroom and climbed in her bed.

“Maddie?” She heard from the door way.

“What do you want, Kenzie?” Maddie asked, trying not to sound upset.

“Are you okay?” Kenzie said taking a step into her sisters room.

“Perfect,” Maddie said, biting her tongue.

Maddie watched as her little sister turned around and walked out of the room. She heard Mackenzie’s door shut. Maddie rolled over and looked at the picture of her and her friends from dance. She sighed, missing the days when the only drama was finding out who was going to get a solo and who was not. Maddie’s eyes fluttered shut as she fell asleep.

The next morning, she was awoken by her alarm clock, screaming at her, telling her to get up out of bed. It was time for school. Maddie’s computer was magically in her room again. Was that a dream she had? Or did Greg leave for work sooner than usual?

Maddie shrugged and logged onto her computer quickly before disappearing into her closet. She had the perfect back-to-school outfit. Up until the time she entered high school, Maddie had gone to public school. But once ninth grade rolled around, she had finally convinced her mom to let her go to a performing arts school.

Her computer made the logging on sound and then it was followed by the sound of a Skype call. She smiled and approached the computer. She sat down in her desk chair and answered the call from Chloe.

“Hey Chlo!” Maddie smiled as Chloe’s video chat box popped up.

“Hey Mads!” Chloe said. “So are you excited for dance this afternoon?”

“Uh, yeah! I can’t wait to get back to school, too. You’re coming this year, aren’t you? Christi is letting you right?” Maddie asked, fiddling with her new make-up palette.

“Yes, finally! Hey, do you want me to pick you up?” Chloe asked, cutting something out.

“Sure,” Maddie said. “I miss Paige. Why’d she quit dance in the first place?”

“Ever since Brooke graduated she hasn’t been the same.” Chloe said looking up into the camera. She shrugged and said, “I think Brooke was the only reason she stayed.”