Chapter Six

Chapter Six

“C’mon girls! Let’s get to work!” Abby clapped.

Maddie’s face dropped. She wasn’t even able to say one word to the boy before Abby called her back. Maddie turned around and skipped back to the room. She sat down on the studio floor and stretched. Chloe and Kendall walked in and Maddie just glanced at them before turning back and looking at herself in the mirror.

“Hurry up and stretch, we have a lot to do today. We’re working on the group first.” Maddie sighed and did her hip flexors. 

“Maddie, listen I’m…”

“Just forget about it Chloe. I don’t wanna hear it. Not here, not now, not ever.” Maddie said. “It’s okay for other people to say that, but not for my best friend.”

Maddie pulled herself up, off the ground and walked to the bar. Chloe followed right behind her. Maddie was still in her black leotard from school, but Chloe had completely changed. She was then wearing black bottoms that came up to her belly button and a purple long-sleeve top. Maddie’s hair was in a ballet bun, but Chloe’s was in a pretty braid that went down her back.

“Maddie, I’m sorry. I wasn’t saying those things are true, but,” Chloe said, trying to explain herself.

“But nothing, Chloe! You and I both know that Kendall was going to ask you if that what they’re saying is true. And we all know that you’re too much of a follower to say no. You won’t ever stand up for me like I would stand up for you.” Maddie said before she did some warm ups.

“But Maddie,” Chloe said.

“Chloe, if you really think that I’ve been acting different lately, you should’ve told me. You shouldn’t have ran around the studio telling people about how I supposedly slept with Brandon!” Maddie looked up and around the room, “Which I didn’t!” Maddie, frustrated with Chloe, headed for the door. “You know what, Chlo? I am torn up about Mackenzie. And I technically, I don’t have to be here if I don’t want to.”

“Madison Nicole, where are you going?” Abby said sternly.

 “Out.” Maddie nodded before pushing the glass door open and storming out.

If there was one thing that Chloe was most jealous of, it would be that Abby knew that Maddie’s middle name was Nicole. Chloe was so jealous of Maddie for that. Even though Abby only called Maddie ‘Madison Nicole’ when she was in trouble, Chloe was still jealous. Sometimes she would dream of the day she would mess something up and Abby would shout, ‘Chloe Elizabeth’ across the studio just for the moment of recognition.

Nick was talking to a few girls in the dancers den. He smiled and then glanced around the room. He did a double take and waved to the two girls in front of him. He walked over to Maddie, who was fighting back the tears so hard. Nick looked back and forth between her two blue eyes before wrapping her up in a hug.

“Will you take me home?” Maddie asked quietly.

“Don’t you think you should stay and practice?” Nick asked.

Maddie shook her head and looked up at him. “At this point, I don’t even want to dance anymore.”

“C’mon, don’t say that.” Nick said as he moved a fly away out of her face. “You don’t mean that.”

“Don’t tell me what I mean,” Maddie said.

Nick held Maddie’s face and shook his head. “No, no. You love dance. You’re the star. You are Madison Nicole fucking Ziegler. You can do anything.”

Maddie collapsed, crying. Nick held her, trying to keep her standing, but it didn’t happen. They sat on the floor by the stairs that led to the viewing room. Nick put his giant hand on Maddie’s small knee and gave it a little rub with his thumb. He suddenly jumped up, but Maddie didn’t mind. Some part of her wanted to be alone. She got her phone out of her bag and checked the Facebook page.

Cathy Griffin
I hate Maddie Ziegler!

I Hate Maddie Ziegler
What was your favorite Maddie moment during the 90-minute special, Dance Moms: Now?

            Cathy Griffin
            When she tripped onto the stage during her duet with Chloe! GO CHLO!

            Kylie Hudson
            When Abby yelled at Maddie!

            Hailey Bates
            Anytime she wasn’t on screen!

            Holly Haggerty
            When it was over!

            James Smith
            When she ran off crying during the group!

Maddie locked her phone and shoved it back in her bag when she saw Nick’s shadow against the wall. She crawled back over to the wall and repositioned herself. Nick came back and sat down next to her. Nick handed Maddie a bag of sour gummy worms.

“What are these for?” Maddie asked, sad.

Nick blinked, “I just thought we could share a bag of sour gummy worms and sit in the den like we used to do.”

Maddie wiped her eyes, giggling. As she giggled she laid her head on Nick’s shoulder and then sat back up. She didn’t want to give him any ideas. Maddie was still really hurt, despite the laughing and the gummy worms.

“So what did Abby do this time?” Nick said after everyone in the den had cleared out.

Maddie shook her head, “It wasn’t Abby. It was Chloe.”

“Can I give you some advice?” Nick asked after a few seconds of silence. Maddie nodded, looking into Nick’s green eyes. “I think one of the worst things I ever did was fight with Brandon. We were best friends, like you and Chlo. Actually, exactly like you and Chloe. I was like you and Brandon was like Chloe. Except, we’re dudes…anyways, right before he graduated high school we got in this huge fight about stupid stuff. He went off to college, and we didn’t make up. Now, I barely talk to the dude. So don’t fight with Chloe. Especially not this year. It’s her last year before she has to grow up and be an adult. Make it count for her and for you.”

“Nick, I’m just scared that she’s gonna leave like Paige did. Paige left after Brooke graduated. And you graduated right there along with Brooke. And now everything with Kenzie. I can’t have Chloe walk out of my life either. I need her, especially if I don’t have you and Kenzie and Paige anymore.” Maddie cried as she held a pink and blue gummy worm in her fingers. She squished it tighter and tighter with every word she said.

“You haven’t lost me.” Nick said. “I’m just a plane and a taxi ride away.”

Maddie smirked and held onto Nick’s bicep. There was a comfortable silence abroad the two. Maddie still wanted to go home, though. She wanted to go home and watch a Lifetime movie and then work on her jazz routine for her audition the next morning.

“Start spreading the news.” Nick sang.  “I’m leavin’ today. I want to be a part of it. New York.”

“New York,” Maddie chimed in. The two sang and danced around the dancer’s den to the song, all a capella. Maddie laughed and hugged Nick one last time. “I’m gonna get back to dance.”

Nick smiled and nodded, “That’s my Maddie.”

Fun fact about me: that gif in the side bar is the sexiest moment of Nick's life, in my opinion.