Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Maddie walked into the lobby, following Chloe. Chloe signed herself and Maddie in as Maddie went around to the backside of the desk. She stood patiently, waiting for someone to notice her. Her sad blue eyes looked down at her black sandals.

“Excuse me,” Maddie finally spoke up.

An older blonde lady that looked a lot like Kelly Hyland looked up and smiled. “What could I do for you?” She asked kindly with a warm smile.

“Um, I’m Maddie Ziegler, and I…”

“I am so sorry,” the lady hugged Maddie for a moment. “We got the call from your mother today. I’m savin’ a special prayer for you and your family, sweetheart. Why don’t you run along and go sit in on morning announcements, and I’ll email your teachers about what’s going on.”

Maddie nodded and walked over to Chloe. As soon as the girls got to the grand stairwell, Maddie was done. She began to cry. She was unable to control it. She made her way to the stairs before she collapsed. Chloe took a seat next to her. At first, just with her hand on her best friend’s back, but then she pulled Maddie into a hug.

“You’re my best friend, Chlo.” Maddie said, able to calm herself down.

The day went on, and the two girls met back up at lunch. Maddie had a tap intensive and her ballet audition that morning. That afternoon she was going to her tap audition and then a jazz clinic.

Maddie pulled out a chair at the table for lunch. Chloe wasn’t there yet, and Maddie was anxious to see her. Instead of sweating it, Maddie pulled her phone out of her purse and found a text from her mom.

Momma: I’m picking you up after school. And I’ll drop you off at dance before I go back to the hospital.

Maddie didn’t bother to respond. As she looked up, Chloe was sitting down. She had the biggest, brightest smile on her face. Maddie was jealous. Maddie wanted to be happy, but it was just so hard when she knew that Mackenzie was in critical condition. But yet, Maddie had always been jealous of Chloe.

Chloe was tall and Maddie was short. Standing next to her, Maddie felt awkward and uncomfortable. She was super self-conscious, both girls were. Maddie hated her height and her legs and her nose and her ears. Chloe hated being so tall and her eyes and her hair and just about everything, right down to the shape of her little toe.

Maddie was jealous of Chloe and had been for years. She wanted to be like Chloe so bad. She wanted the constant attention from everybody in the room. She wanted to dance with the older boys and not the younger ones just because she was short. She wanted to be on the senior dance company team, not the teen. She wanted to be best friends with Paige and she wanted to have her little sister healthy and alive!

Chloe got up suddenly, leaving Maddie to fend for herself. Girls looked at her weird and went on their way. Chloe returned a few minutes later with two frozen hot chocolate. Maddie laughed, it was an old trick that she and Chloe did when they were sad. Maddie smiled.

“Everything is gonna be okay, Maddie.” Chloe reassured her.

“Yeah,” Maddie nodded. “You’re right.”

The two girls ordered their lunch. Both of them got grilled chicken, steamed vegetables, and rice with water to drink. The girls ate their lunch before parting their separate ways. Maddie went off and nailed her tap audition, definitely advanced tap for her. Maddie went on to her jazz clinic. It was Brandon’s class for the day.

Maddie walked in and set her stuff in a cubby. She was one of the first ones into the dance studio. Brandon sent a few kids out so he could talk with Maddie, one-on-one. She was scared he was going to try to kiss her again. Maddie stood in the middle of the dance studio in her black leo, pink tights, and jazz shoes.