Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Chloe came back to dance that afternoon. Paige was upset because she really wanted to dance, but she also knew that they were more likely to place if Chloe was in there. Paige decided to tag along on the journey to Rosewood, Pennsylvania. The moms and daughters left that night. Clara was nervous about her first duet of the season. Maddie just wanted to do good. She wanted to prove that no matter what happened, she was still Maddie Ziegler, an ALDC dancer. The bus arrived in Rosewood at around eleven o’clock. All of the moms and daughters ran up to their hotel rooms and went to sleep. The next day was the competition.

Nick Dobbs: Do great today, baby. I love you so much!

Maddie smiled as she read the text from Nick. She had just woke up and was actually excited for the competition. She still felt a little melancholy. It was her first competition that Mackenzie wasn’t there for. That felt a little strange. Maddie walked down the hallway to Chloe’s room by herself. It was their breakfast ritual. They both had to eat one raw egg and a piece of burnt bacon for good luck.

After breakfast, the girls went down the stairs and got to have a little bit of stage time before the competition started. Maddie frowned, “Chloe, I really hope you win.”

“I don’t have a solo, remember?” Chloe asked sadly.

“Actually…” Maddie said, “I convinced Ms. Abby to let you do the duet with Clara. You know it better than I do!”

“Thanks, Mads.” Chloe smiled and hugged her friend. “Oh, we should go get Paige!”

Maddie nodded and agreed. As Chloe walked off first, Maddie thought about all the past years with Chloe and Paige. They were seniors, they were leaving too. Then she thought of Mackenzie. She stopped walking and sat down in one of the chairs.

“Are you coming, Maddie?” Chloe turned around.

“Uh, no, you go on. I’ll catch up in a minute.”

Maddie cried in the empty theater. She wiper her tears away, embarrassed even though there wasn’t anyone around. Maddie sucked it up and walked out of the theater, accidentally bumping into someone.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Maddie said kindly as she looked up and made eye contact with a familiar set of eyes.

“I haven’t seen you in a while. Where’ve you been, stranger?” Luke asked.

“Around,” Maddie smirked and let out a giggle. “Looks like you have some competition today.”

“You don’t scare me!” Maddie stuck her tongue out as she walked by Luke.

“Hey, Maddie!” Luke called before she was too far away. She turned around and Luke smiled, “You’re a star.”

“Kenzie’s a bigger one, though.” Maddie said.

Luke agreed and they went their separate ways, but not for long. Maddie and Luke stood next to each other back stage, getting ready for their solos. Luke touched Maddie’s hand with his.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Maddie said, yanking her hand away.

“Why not?” Luke asked. “I thought you were into me?”

“We’re at a competition. Let’s be professional.” Maddie nodded.

“What changed, Maddie? I’ve seen you at a ton of competitions and you’ve always been the open, flirty girl.”

“You don’t get it, do you?” Maddie asked and shook her head. “Of course you don’t. Life will never be the same. Not for you. Not for me. It will never be the same!”

Maddie turned back around and watched a girl exit stage. Moments later, she heard her name and number being announced. “Judges, please welcome to the stage number 37, Maddie Ziegler with Angel.”

Maddie looked up and whispered, “This one’s for you Kenz.”