Chapter Four

Chapter Four

“Well let’s continue without them, then.” Abby said. She revealed the first picture and said, “Clara, you are new with this team, and you are only nine years old. You won’t be in the group dances because you’ll drive the age category down, but you will have at least one dance every week until I feel that you are ready to dance with this team in the groups.”

Kendall was next, Chloe, Nia, and Mackenzie. And on top, of course, was Maddie. The competition was going to be in Toronto, Canada that weekend. Clara was going to have a duet with Mackenzie, and Nia and Kendall were going to have a duet. Chloe would be learning a new solo, Nia would have a solo, and Maddie would be competing with two solos. There would be a group dance, of course. As Abby explained the theme, Chloe’s mind wandered off.

I was just at school with her… I just took her and Kenzie home. Where are they? Chloe thought, checking the clock every so often. Abby started clapping in Chloe’s face.

“Go get some water and come back in when you’re ready to learn.” Abby shouted, pointing towards the door.

Chloe excused herself into the dancer’s den. She pulled her phone out and immediately received a call from Maddie.

“Mads, where are you? Abby is going to kill you!” Chloe said before Maddie could say a word. Maddie cried on the phone, slurring every word together. She made it hard for Chloe to understand what she was saying. “Maddie, Maddie, Maddie, sweetheart calm down. Start over.”

Maddie took a few deep breaths, “We were in a car crash!”

Abby rolled her eyes and made everyone spread out. Suddenly the doors whipped open. Gianna ran in from one door and Chloe ran in from the other. At the same time they said, “The Zieglers were in an accident!”

~

Maddie walked into the dance studio about three hours later. It was around seven o’clock, and the dinner break was about to begin. She had just been dropped off by Greg. He was the first one upon the scene after the paramedics were called.

“MADDIE!!” Chloe and Kendall screamed and ran to the door.

Maddie didn’t smiled when she saw her friends, she couldn’t. Instead, she gave a small wave. Her face was pale and her eyes were dark. Her nose was red and her cheeks were damp. Her nose was still stuffy from crying as she set her stuff down on a bench.

“Are you okay?” Kendall asked loudly.

Clara looked at the door, “Where’s Kenzie?”

A few tears fell out of Maddie’s eyes. “She’s on her way to the hospital, Clara.”

Christi walked down the stairs, hearing Maddie’s voice. Christi swooped Maddie up in a hug and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Christi shook her head, “You don’t have to be here if you don’t want to.”

“I have to be,” Maddie cried and looked up to Christi.

“No you don’t, sweetie.” Christi said. “I can take you home or to my house or to the Hyland’s. I bet Paige would love to see you.”

“No, I need to stay.” Maddie said, hugging Christi. “Thanks though.”

Even though Maddie was nearly sixteen years old, she stood at 4’11”, and she was almost done growing. Maddie walked into the studio and saw Abby running Nia’s solo. Abby nodded as Nia got up from her final pose. Nia smiled at Maddie, who was standing in the doorway.  Abby said something that Maddie couldn’t hear. Nia walked out of the room and into the dancers den. Maddie put on a brave face and went to talk to Abby.

“Ms. Abby, what did I miss at pyramid?” Maddie asked, squeaking the last word out as she saw her little sister’s picture on the pyramid.

“Well, kid, you’re doing two solos and you’re in the group. Where’s Mackenzie, why is she here talking to me?” Abby looked at the door behind Maddie’s shoulder.

Maddie took a breath in and said, “She’s…she’s in the hospital.”

The moms in the viewing room were suddenly focused down to see what Abby had to say. All proud of Maddie’s braveness. Maddie listened as Abby explained her assignments. She was to learn a new dance called Find a Way. She was also going to be doing an old solo called Cry. Abby was going to have her do I Can’t Find the Words, but she was going to save it for the next week. Abby also made a quick decision on putting Maddie in the duo with Clara.

Maddie nodded and began to work on the group by herself. She needed to catch up. She wasn’t that hungry anyway. Up with the moms, Christi and Holly watched in amazement.

“She’s so brave to be doing this.” Holly said, sitting up straight again.

Christi nodded, “Poor girl.”

Jill sighed, “We can only pray for the best, right girls?”

Chloe sat about half way up the stairs listening to the mothers’ conversation. She bowed her head and began to pray for Maddie and Mackenzie even though she wasn’t too sure of what was happening.

Maddie wiped her brow as she walked out of the studio and into the dancers den. She sat on top of a stack of mats and pulled off her new pair of jazz shoes. She rubbed her feet and forgot all about Mackenzie and the crash until she heard a someone honk they’re horn from outside. Tears poured out of Maddie’s eyes as she ran up the stairs to Christi, Holly, and Jill. Christi opened her arms and took Maddie in for a hug. Maddie went home early from rehearsal. She went home, ate dinner, and tucked herself away in bed. She checked her phone one last time before she went to bed. She had a message from Chloe, telling her how she’d be there at seven the next morning. And one from Nick.

Nick Dobbs: I’m so sorry, Mads. I miss you, I love you, good night.

Maddie laid back down, sad. Hours passed and the only thing she could think of was that stupid Facebook page. She jumped up and ran to her computer, but it wasn’t on her desk. It was in Mackenzie’s room still. Maddie shook her head. She didn’t want to go in there without Mackenzie being there.

She decided to pull the page up on her phone. It was exploded with new posts and messages.

Kylie Hadford
I didn’t really mean it!

Melissa Garnet
Woah! Her sister is in the hospital!

Gary Bean
Maddie was driving the car too! Lol, she killed her sister

Julie Smith
I can’t believe it! Haha, bitch was probably like her sister. God probably didn’t want two of them on this planet! LOL!

Maddie cried and got out of her bed. She sleepily walked into her sisters room and climbed in her bed. Bawling, Maddie shouted, “Please let her be okay! Please!”

The next morning, Maddie woke up in her bed. Greg had moved her that night when he came to do his last clean sweep. He always made sure everyone was in their bed and everything was in its spot. Maddie got up out of bed and walked to her closet, unknowing of what she would be wearing. She pulled out grape-purple pants and a white, long sleeve, collared blouse with black buttons up the front and a black bow that tied at the top, in front of the collar. She laid it on her bed and jumped in the shower quickly. She washed her hair with Aussie shampoo and conditioner. When she got out, she got dressed and dried her hair. She pinned back some of her hair and curled the rest. No make-up was necessary, she knew she would just be crying all day long.  

“Hey Mads,” Chloe said as Maddie approached the car. She gulped, scared of Chloe driving. “Don’t be scared, Maddie. I’m a safe driver.”

Maddie took a deep breath in before opening the car. She climbed in and buckled up. School was about to be hell.