Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Maddie blinked her eyes open as she checked the clock. It was just a few minutes past three o’clock in the morning. Her face was cold and her breath was hot. Her cheeks were damp from the tears streaming down her face. She had a nice warm arm around her waist. She looked at Nick and kissed his nose.

“Maddie go to sleep, baby.” He said.

Maddie shook her head, “I can’t stop thinking about her.” Maddie whispered, “I’m scared.”

“Maddie, she’s here with you. I know she is. She’ll always be your little sister.” Nick said, still without opening his eyes.

Maddie shook her head and got up out of her warm bed. She grabbed her phone and pulled a hoodie on over her tank top and hopped down the stairs to the main floor. She walked out of the house and sat on the patio furniture. She sighed, missing Mackenzie. As she sat, she went through her dance routines over and over in her head.

The door squealed open and Maddie’s head shot over to look. Melissa walked out with two mugs. Maddie assumed it was hot chocolate. It was a cold, cold August night in Pennsylvania. Melissa walked out in long pajama pants, fuzzy slippers, and a robe.

“Hey baby,” Melissa said quietly, her voice scratchy.

 Maddie smirked, “Hi.”

“How are you feeling?” Melissa asked with a long face. She sat down next to Maddie and handed her the hot chocolate.

Maddie took a small sip and then said, “You know…how every fifteen year old feels when they’re little sister dies.”

Melissa put her arm around her petite daughter. “You know, the past couple of days, I’ve been talking to Mackenzie. She couldn’t speak back, but I knew she could hear me.”

“Yeah?” Maddie asked, resting her head on Melissa’s shoulder. She took another sip and listened to her mother.

“I told Kenzie that if she couldn’t do this, she could go be with Bopcha.” Melissa said. “Just think about it that way. Kenzie and Bopcha are sitting together, probably dancing in heaven as we speak. They’re always watching over us.”

“Mom?” Maddie asked.

“Yes?”

Maddie sighed, “Ms. Abby said that I was supposed to do two solos. A new one and an old one. And she gave me Cry as my old solo, but, do you think you could ask her to let me do Angel instead? I did the dance for Bopcha when I was little, but I want to do it for Kenzie, now.”

“I think that would be a great idea.” Melissa said. She stood up and began to walk back into the house. “Don’t stay out here too long, alright?”

Maddie nodded and watched her mom walk back into the house. Maddie decided to check her phone, she hadn’t since before she went to the hospital earlier that afternoon. She had five missed calls and at least twenty text messages. Messages from Paige, and messages from Brooke. A few from Brandon and a few from Nia. Kendall had sent a message and so did Clara. There were messages from Gianna, James, Jen, and Abby. There were also a few texts from Payton and Auriel. But from Chloe, none. All five calls were from Abby and then there was one from Rossendale Performing Arts School.

Maddie sighed and turned her phone off. She set it on the coffee table and took a few more sips of her hot chocolate. She looked up to the one part of the sky that was visible from where she was sitting. A shooting star shot by as Maddie drifted off into a dreamland. A few hours later, she blinked her eyes open and she was in the dance studio. Mackenzie was there, prancing around. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion.

“C’mon, Maddie!” Mackenzie cried as she pulled Maddie into the studio. Maddie turned and looked into the mirror. She did a pirroutte and then started floating.

“Maddie, where are you going?” Kenzie asked. “Maddie, don’t leave me! I need you! Maddie! MADDIE!”

Maddie shot up from her spot on the porch. The sun was rising above the trees. She rubbed her eyes, grabbed her phone, and walked back up into her room. She saw Nick still asleep and curled back into him.

“Don’t you need to get ready for school today?” Nick asked only half-awake.

“I’m not going.” Maddie said. “I can’t go. I can’t go see everyone and get sympathy.”

“But you need it, Maddie. You’re going to get it. You were on a national TV show for four years of your life. Everyone knows. You just have to get over it.” Nick said.

“Why are you being so rude?” Maddie asked as she rolled over.

“Maybe because I didn’t sleep a wink last night.” Nick sat up and got out of the bed. “I’m going home tonight.”

“No, Nick, you can’t!” Maddie said as she leaned forward. “You said you would stay for as long as I needed you! And I need you Nick! I need you!”

“You don’t need me, Maddie. You have everyone else here to love and support you. I have no one.” Nick said. “How do you think I feel? I was in the room watching her die!”

“You weren’t related to her! She wasn’t your little sister!” Maddie screamed waking everyone in the house up.

Her Aunt and Uncle had gotten in late that night after they found out about Mackenzie. They brought their daughters and son, too. Nobody dared to even walk into Mackenzie’s room. Nick shook his head and walked out of Maddie’s bedroom, slamming the door behind him. Maddie fell back, sobbing. She cried herself back to sleep and didn’t wake up until noon. She woke up to the sound of thunder, rain hitting the windows, and a soft conversation coming from down the stairs.

“You just have to be strong for her,” Greg’s voice boomed.

Why isn’t he at work? Maddie thought.

“I know,” Maddie heard Nick.

Nick and Greg stood in the kitchen making lunch. Nick was leaning over the sink, crying. Mackenzie was like his little sister. Nick’s sister Katie was best friends with Mackenzie. The loss of her, was a big deal to everyone. Maddie walked towards the door to hear more of the conversation.

“It’s just so hard!” Nick said and let out a sob. Nick turned to Greg and gave him a hug. Nick felt like part of the family. He had always felt like that.

Maddie grabbed her phone off of her dresser and turned it back on. She had three more missed calls and a few more messages and texts from kids from school. Twitter had exploded with “I’m Sorry” messages from crazed fans. Still, she didn’t have any message from Chloe. And that hurt.

“Nice to know we’re friends still.” Maddie said as she typed it away on her phone. She sent the Tweet and waited until fans replied. She wasn’t going to say anything more, but everyone guessed that it was about Chloe or Paige or Kendall.

Maddie got up and walked down the stairs, not too sure if she wanted to face her family or not.