3. Night Alone Pt.1

It turned out a kiss truly didn't mean anything to me. Or, perhaps just not from Jackie Reed. She laughed after, and then I laughed. After that, there was nothing more to say and we swam for an hour more and I went home on my bike around six. A week passed by as it had before and I went to Jackie's house to swim another few times. I'd barely see her mom. Sometimes I'd say hello in the kitchen or see her walking past the pool house doors. She was reserved. But it wasn't something I thought about much—I was there for Jackie, and the pool.

At the end of the week, Jackie and I organised that I'd come over on Saturday evening for a practise and perhaps to stay over too. So, on Saturday around five p.m, I hopped on my bike and rode upwards through our town, lake-bound. Jackie's house was only a small distance from the large lake that was the attraction of our boring town, but no one really went there too often. It was popular in the summer with tourists who were on the all-American road trip, but around September to May it was almost always soulless. I remembered being younger and begging my dad to take me up there - to do what? I don't remember. But when we did go, he'd hold me right under my armpits and let me splash my bare feet in the shallow end. It was freezing water, but it was fresh and natural. Fog hung around it in cold mornings and the surface wobbled and sparkled under summer sunlight. I doubted then that my dad would take me anymore. I was too old, and he was too busy. So on the odd occasion, I would go alone. I'd stand at the edge of the water, roll my trousers up to my knees and step into the shallow shore area. I would shiver. I'd feel my skin prickle with goosebumps, but I'd take another few steps forward and wiggle my toes in the sand. I sometimes wished that I went more often. After I'd leave for college, it would become something I wouldn't be able to see anymore. The town and the lake may just become a memory, and only that.

At the bottom of Jackie's road, I saw a familiar head of blonde hair making her way down, a plastic bag in her hands. She saw me first and waved. I waved back politely. But the way she had stopped and stood at the side of the street meant she wanted to talk, so I slowed beside her on my bike.

Her face was red before I even spoke.

"Hi, Giana." I said, smiling.

"Hi, Norah, are you alright?" She asked, speaking quickly as she always did.

I laughed softly. "Yes, I'm alright. Are you?"

She nodded, and I watched her eyes run over my body. "You look so... different out of your school uniform."

"Good different, or bad different?"

"Good different! Of course... you always look good." She said quietly, staring down at my outfit. I was only wearing a navy hoodie and sweatpants as I was about to swim at Jackie's but I guessed it would look strange if she'd only ever seen me in school uniform and a swimsuit.

"Well, thanks." I nodded at the bag in her hands. "Where you off to?"

She pulled the handles apart and showed me its contents; a bag of sugar and a pint of milk. "I'm taking these to a family friend. She's kind of bed bound at the moment."

"How kind." I said softly, glancing into the bag another time before looking back up into Giana's red face.

"It's not really... but if you think so, then I guess. I mean, anyone would, wouldn't they?" She gushed. She swayed on the balls of her feet. I smiled at that.

"Well, perhaps they would. Maybe they'd find it too much of a hassle - going on a saturday. I just think it's kind you would, I bet they're grateful." I shrugged, smiling.

"Hmm. Perhaps." She mumbled, and stared at me for a second. "Anyway, where are you going, Norah?"

"Just out." I said. "To swim."