Chapter 16

When no one was looking, I snuck into the TARDIS to change my clothes. She picked out a purple dress. The sleeves were a blue see through material.

Evelina recovered and laughed as Donna put on a purple robe and shawl. She waved me into the room. "You're not supposed to laugh. Thanks for that. What do you think?" Donna pointed at us. "The Goddess Venus."

"Oh, that's sacrilege," she giggled.

"Nice to see you laugh, though. What do you do in old Pompeii, then, girls your age?" Donna asked, "You got mates? Do you go hanging about round the shops? TK Maximus?" I smiled at that.

"I am promised to the Sisterhood for the rest of my life."

I inquired, "Do you get any choice in that?"

"It's not my decision," Evelina answered, "The Sisters chose for me. I have the gift of sight."

"Then what can you see happening tomorrow?" I hit her arm and shook my head, but she ignored me.

"Is tomorrow special?" She asked.

"You tell me," Donna said hopefully, "What do you see?"

The girl closed her eyes briefly before opening them and smiling. "The sun will rise, the sun will set. Nothing special at all."

"Look, don't tell the Doctor I said anything because he'll kill me, but I've got a prophecy too." Evelina immediately covered her eyes with her hands. They had eyes on the back of her hands.

"Donna," I warned, "Don't."

She continued, "Evelina, I'm sorry, but you've got to hear me out. Evelina, can you hear me? Listen."

"There is only one prophecy," Evelina insisted.

"Yes, now stop talking, Donna," I agreed, "You don't know what you're doing."

She ignored me again. "But everything I'm about to say to you is true, I swear. Just listen to me. Tomorrow, that mountain is going to explode. Evelina, please listen. The air is going to fill with ash and rocks, tons and tons of it, and this whole town is going to get buried."

"That's not true."

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry," she apologized, "But everyone's going to die. Even if you don't believe me, just tell your family to get out of town. Just for one day. Just for tomorrow. But you've got to get out. You've got to leave Pompeii."

Evelina cried, "This is false prophecy!"

"Donna!" I whispered fiercely, "Stop! She's part of Sisterhood. She was communicating with them! Do you know what they do to people who talk like that?" She didn't get the chance to reply when someone grabbed both of us and knocked me out.

When I came to, we were in a temple like building. I was tied to the altar and Donna was tied to a pillar. "This is what they do," I said loudly.

"You have got to be kidding me." Donna struggled against the ropes.

A member of the Sisterhood stood over me with an ornate knife. "The false prophet will surrender both her blood and her breath," she murmured.

I threatened, "I'll surrender you in a minute. Don't you dare."

"You will be silent."

"Listen, sister, you might have eyes on the back of your hands," Donna threatened with me, "But you'll have eyes in the back of your head by the time I've finished with you. Let us go!"

"Sorry, sisters, but scientifically this makes no sense. How do you tell the future?" I demanded.

"Where is your 'science' sense now?" The Sister prodded.