Sho Kusakabe~ Hanahaki Curse

Hanahaki Disease (花吐き病 (Japanese); 하나하키병 (Korean); 花吐病 (Chinese)) is a fictional disease in which the victim coughs up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided love. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only; strong friendship is not enough), or when the victim dies. It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear.

You had a best friend since elementary school. He was always there for you, from fighting your bullies to tutoring you. Now you're both working for the special fire force.

After all these years you grew a liking towards him, Sho Kusakabe. You realised how much he cared for you and you started to catch feelings for him. His white hair, his beautiful eyes, his lovely smile. You couldn't help but fall in love with the boy.

You didn't know if he liked you back so one day at company 8 you decided to pull him aside and ask. "Hey Sho, can I talk to you for a minute outside?" He looked up from his paper work and said "Sure", he got up smiling taking your hand in his and going outside.

You felt butterflies in your stomach everytime he holds your hand, but was it really butterflies?

"What do you wanna talk about (Y/N)?", Sho asked getting all excited. "Well I-...I wanted to tell you how I feel...about us." You said nervously. "What do you mean?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "I like you sho" you said and shut your eyes. "that's cute" he said smiling.

A smile started growing on your face but it quickly disappeared when you heard what he said next. "I like you too (Y/N), you're like a sister to me." He said pulling you into a hug.

He didn't understand....

"Y-yeah" you said while he hugged you. Tears started to form in your eyes. "I Just wanted to say thank you for being there for me as my big brother." You said mumbling the last part then saying bye and running away.

Sho didn't think anything of this because he was used to you acting all kawaii with him and he thought it was cute but in a little sister way apparently.

You ran to your room and burst into tears. A little sister? Why Sho? Why don't you like me in a romantic way? After all we've done for each other. You thought which only made you cry more.

You started feeling an excruciating pain in your stomach. It felt like menstrual cramps and you felt nauseous. You felt like throwing up so you went to the bathroom to do just that. You looked at it and to your surprise it was sakura petals with spots of red blood on them. You got scared and backed away crying even more.

"What is happening to me?" You said sliding down the bathroom door with a tear stained face. You felt something rising in your throat which made your throat itch causing you to cough and another petal flew out of your mouth.

"No..no no no" and then it hit you. You remembered a kid in 5th grade who was known as the weird kid because he always sat by himself willingly. Everytime someone sat next to him he would simply move to another empty table. He enjoyed his own company and his company only.

He always made up weird stories and said that he knows everything. You remembered his story about the Hanahaki curse. "If you love someone and they don't like you back they'll cough up flowers, I saw it happen to my dad" he said. All the kids laughed at him and telling him that he was lying. You even thought he was lying but not anymore. "You have to get surgery or you'll die. I'm not lying. My dad is no longer with us. Mom said he went on vacation to his happy place and he isn't coming back. He said once more, tears forming in his eyes.

He wasn't lying, you thought. Wait....does that mean I'm going to die? No...I don't wanna die, NO. Wait...

You remembered the boy's words once again "you have to get surgery or you'll die"

I can't die. I have so much more to do in this world. So much people to save. So much people that need me, my positive energy. Sho... he needs his little sister. Your thoughts were all over the place because you didn't want to die because of some stupid crush.

Even though Sho didn't love you back in a romantic way, even tho he's the one who is making you hurt right now, he still loved you as a sister and you didn't want to take that from him just because you wanted to be more than friends. You didn't want to see him sad.

You ran to Maki and told her everything. She didn't believe you at first. Until she saw the petals for herself. Her eyes grew wide in horror. "Oh my gosh....(Y/N)" she said with her hand over her mouth. Tears forming in hear eyes. "We have to tell someone older." She suggested. "I know" you sighed, "but promise me you won't tell Sho, I don't want to hurt him" you begged. "I promise." Maki said hugging you once more and going to Hinawa.

He knew about the curse.

He took you to one of the most experienced healers in town to get the surgery done. It was for the best.

"Where's (Y/N)?" Sho asked, back at the station. They kept your promise they didn't tell him about your curse. "It was an emergency. We had to rush her to the hospital. It's her appendix." Obi lied. "What? So what am I doing here. How did I not know about this?" He said getting all riled up and tears forming in his eyes. "As I said it was an emergency. We had to act fast" Obi said to calm him down.

"I want to go see her. NOW" He shouted. "She's my little sister." He said finally breaking into tears. "We'll go when the procedure is over okay?" Obi assured him.

Back at the hospital you were getting ready for surgery. You were on the operating table just looking at the ceiling and enjoying your last moments of being in love. Even though it hurts that Sho doesn't like you back, you still enjoyed the sparks that he made you feel everytime he touched you or did stuff for you. Love is beautiful. You thought. But it's one heartless motherfucker. You laughed at your dumb thought. How could you laugh at a time like this you may ask but you feel good that you don't have to hurt anyone else, you already done a toll on yourself.

"After the surgery Your romantic feelings for Sho will be gone but you'd still be best friends. Are you sure you want to continue? " the healer asked. "I'm sure. It's for the best...I hope."

Those were your last words before the anaesthetic kicked in. After the surgery you were out for 3 hours. Your eyes finally fluttered open and you turned your head to the right to see a white, fluffy-haired boy sitting in a chair fast asleep.

"Sho?" You mumbled. He started stirring in his chair and opened his eyes a few seconds later. He jumped out of his chair and gently hugged you. "Don't ever do this to me again (Y/N). It hurts" he said, trying not to cry."It's okay Sho. I'm okay." You said hugging him back.

A few months have passed and you were almost fully recovered. The surgery worked. You had no romantic feelings for Sho anymore, no more petals.

You were sitting on the couch in the common area of the office watching TV when Sho came and sat next to you. "Hey (Y/N)? I have something to tell you." He said. You looked at him confused. "What is it?" You asked. "Well you know how we are always there for each other and I said that you were like a sister to me." "Yeah..." You said trailing off so that he'd continue.

"I'm now realising that I was saying that to make myself feel better. I told myself that so I won't develop feelings for you because I didn't want to hurt you. But when you had that near death experience I realised that I do have feelings for you (Y/N)...I-I love you"

Oh no....

Word count: 1447

Thanks GachaMiaYT for the idea 💕 I hope you liked it.

And should I leave it here or make a part two?