35

Colby and I made our way up to the big wooden door. It was a nice house, very modern and sleek. I knocked on it three times, then heard someone fumbling with the lock on the other side a moment later.

The door opened to reveal JC.

"Hey, Jupiter!" he said with a big smile.

"Saturn," I said, giving him a wink. "This is my friend," I continued, pointing over at Colby.

"Hey, man. I'm JC," said JC, holding his hand out.

"Colby," replied Colby, shaking JC's hand.

"Well, come on in. Everyone's a little spread out among the living room, dining room, and kitchen. We're all just sort of familiarizing ourselves with each other, meeting everyone's dates and stuff like you, Colby," said JC.

"Oh, no. Colby and I aren't together like that," I said.

"Oh! My bad. Come inside," JC said again, stepping away to let us in. We walked inside to see a super minimalistic design, an open floor plan and red furniture.

"We just moved in so it's a little empty," JC explained as we made our way inside and toward a couch in a big living room filled with small groups of people talking amongst themselves quietly.

"It's still really nice," I said.

"Yeah, cool place, man," Colby said.

"Thanks. I chose it myself," JC said.

"Kian let you do that?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Surprisingly," JC replied, laughing back. I was glad he wasn't sensitive about clearly being less powerful than Kian was. If only Colby was the same way.

"Kian let you do what?" a voice asked. I looked up to see Kian walking into the room from what I'm assuming was the kitchen.

"Nothing, we're just joking around," JC said.

"Wow, didn't know you had that in you," Kian said, smiling at me. "Who's this?" he asked, nodding toward Colby.

"Colby," he said. He held out his hand and Kian shook it.

"Kian. You come here with Ju-, excuse me, Saturn?" Kian asked Colby.

"Yes," Colby said shortly.

"Thought you weren't one for romantics, angel?" Kian said to me.

"I'm not. He's just a friend," I said.

"Perfect. Then he won't mind if I steal you for a little bit," Kian said.

"No he won't," I said, turning to Colby. "See you later, man," I said, giving him a small wave.

"Yeah. Later," he said, giving me a stiff nod. Kian grabbed my hand and pulled me through the living and dining room into the kitchen.

"So. What do you do now that you're not in charge anymore?" Kian asked, leaning his back against the counter. I stood across from him on the other side of the empty kitchen and did the same.

"Oh, believe me. I'm still in charge," I said.

"Yeah? Of what?" Kian asked.

"Of some very powerful people," I said.

"Like who?" Kian asked. I suddenly understood why Colby had just straight up said he was Satan and Wrath that first night we'd met. It was hard to think of something else to say and I knew he wouldn't believe me if I did tell him the actual truth. But I wasn't going to make myself sound stupid or deranged in front of Kian.

"Just some important people. You've definitely heard of them, but it's not my place to let you know who those people are," I said with a casual shrug. He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at me like he seemed to do often.

"You've got a lot of secrets, angel," he finally said.

"I do. But one thing that's not a secret is that I'm no angel," I said, reinforcing what I'd said yesterday.

"Then what exactly are you?" Kian asked. I gave him a sly smile.

"I'm quite nearly the exact opposite," I said.

"What, like the devil?" asked Kian with a chuckle.

"I mean, yeah," I said. He'd pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

"You don't seem evil to me at all," he replied.

"I also don't seem like a crime ring leader though, do I?" I asked.

"You've got a point there," Kian said. "I'm glad you came tonight."

"Yeah? Why?" I asked. He gave me a side smile.

"There's just something about you. You're not like anyone else I've ever met," he replied.

"And is that a good or a bad thing?" I asked.

"Good. Very, very good," he said.

"Hey," JC said, walking into the kitchen.

"Sup, man," Kian said, giving him a nod.

"You about ready to sit everyone down?" asked JC.

"Yeah, I'll go get them all situated," Kian said, walking back out to the living room. I turned to follow him, but JC cleared his throat so I turned around to face him.

"Colby's a cool guy," JC said.

"Yeah. I guess. Haven't known him for too long," I said. I didn't want to let them know how important Colby really was to me.

"Hm. Well if either of you guys are looking for work, I'm sure we could—,"

"No," I said shortly, cutting him off. "Thanks, but not interested."

"Oh, yeah, no problem. Just wanted to put it out there. You and Kian seem to be hitting it off," said JC. Ew.

"What, he's not like this with all of the girls he meets?" I asked.

"No. He comes off as a player, but usually never even has a second conversation with a lot of the people he flirts with. You managed to catch his eye, though," JC said.

"I seem to keep doing that. Catching people's eyes, I mean," I said.

"I'm not surprised," JC said. I was about to answer when I heard the sound of metal lightly clinking against glass. "It's showtime," JC said with a laugh.

"That it is," I agreed, following him out to the dining room.