Chapter 8

Alexis Nunez
        I've never felt a parent die the loss of someone forever. The day of Corey James's funeral would be a hard day The day leading up to that was even harder. I spent most of my time with Dillion, babysitting while miss Grace figured out what she needed to do.   The day of the funeral I couldn't go for a cheer competition. I felt awful because they were putting their father to rest and I couldn't be there if they needed me. Two weeks passed and everyday they would go to his grave.

       Today I decided to go to Crenshaw and see how they were doing. I got up getting ready for the day, getting dressed. I texted Spencer I was on my way. I knocked on the door and Dillion answered. "Hey bud." "We are just about to leave." "Okay." "Hey Spence." "Hey Lex." He hugged me. "Where's Darnell?" "Right here." "Hi." "Sup Beverly." The four of us walked down to the cemetery. "Where's his headstone?" "It's only been two weeks, man. They're working on it." "We'll come back and see it." "As much as you want. We was just starting to get to know each other." I held onto Dillion. The boys talked about Corey and fishing. We walked back to Spencer's house.

     "How'd it go?" "Still no headstone." "It'll be there real soon baby." She kissed her son forehead sitting on the back of the couch. "Billy called, do you know what tomorrow is?" "Sunday?" "No the national player ranking comes out." "Yes, he says you have a great chance of making top three hundred." "I'm trying not to think about it, and how do you know about that?" Spencer asked and I shrugged. "You're a lock to make that list, bro." "Shouldn't you be on it too?" Dillion asked, "I mean your a big deal in Nevada." "Wouldn't that be something both of you in the top three hundred in the country." "Whoo!" We yelled at the boys. "Honestly it wouldn't matter much to me." "Wouldn't matter you make that list, every college in the country gonna be after you." "Yeah not if I don't play next year." "What are you talking about?" There was a knock on the door. "I'll get it." I looked through the curtain opening the door. "Leila?" Spencer pushed past walking outside with her.

     "And she returns." "Dillion!" I laughed. "What it's true they always come back to the James boys." "Oh so the girl that cancelled you came back?" "Nah, but you're here." "I mean." "D." "I'm just saying." He shrugged walking in his room. "Tell me how it goes." "Of course bye miss Grace." I went outside walking to my car, Darnell followed me leaning up against my car. "So Beverly, no parties today?" "I'm suppose to help a friend make a nursery, but I kinda don't want to go." "You should, you know." "Mmm, I guess." "Thanks for being around through all this, Dillion needed you." "He's my little boyfriend, since the day I met him." "I can tell he's gunna be competition if I stay out here." "Hopefully you do, I like you being around." He smirked opening my door. "Text me later tonight." "Yeah." I smiled getting in. He tapped the car and I drove back to Beverly Hills.

        "Jordan? What's this?" "What's it look like?" "Like you've never built anything." I sat down next to him reading directions. "Woah what am I looking at here?" Coach Baker asked walking in. "This is a run or at least it will be." "He's not a builder." "You want to help." Jordan asked his dad. "Absolutely not, I wouldn't know where to start." "How am I suppose to do this dad?" "Ah, you'll figure it out." "I wasn't talking about the crib dad." "I'll be back." I said walking out the room. I went downstairs getting a water bottle. "You're helping him?" "Yep." "I don't know how you do it, your ex's baby, that's not yours." "I know, but he's my friend." She nodded and I walked back upstairs. "Let's finish this." I told Jordan sitting back down. "Lexi you don't have to help." He laughed. "And let your baby get hurt from your broken crib? What kind of madrina would I be?" We finished the crib setting it up. "Thank you Alexis really?" "Of course." Soon after Olivia came up helping us. "I need to head home, I'll see you at Spencer's in a couple days." "Yeah course."

        In the next couple days, Miss Grace was having a party for Spencer's placement of the three hundred list. "Thank you for being here to celebrate my baby boy and his fifty-seventh ranked football in the nation." "Whoo!" We yelled. "Fifty seven damn bro do you know how many players in the country?" "Nah how many?" "I don't know, that's a serious question. Someone should really look it up." We all laughed. "Over a million." "Wow for real?" "We're all really proud of you Spencer." "Let's cut this cake." I beamed. We sat in the living room all talking. "I have to meet Ashers mom." "You want me to take you?" "It's good Lexi, I'll take her. I'm suppose to show Simone the room today." "Good, text me how it goes. Both of you."