Chapter 11

Alexis Nunez
"Hello?" "Alexis! Spencer just got shot!" "Jordan slow down." "Spencer just got shot." "He got shot." I looked down at Darnell and we both moved fast getting dressed. "I'll call you back." I hung up the phone looking for my pants. "This isn't good, why would anyone want to him shot?" "I don't know." The front door opened and we walked to the living room. "Let's go Spencer's in the hospital. Both of you car now!" We got in the car riding the couple minutes. Miss Grace ran in the hospital Darnell grabbed mine. "It's gonna be okay." "I'll be back." I told them going to Olivia. "Liv." She held me. "He's strong Olivia." "I just can't stop thinking about it." "They'll find the guys who did this I promise you. Your mom will not rest until they do." "Where's Dillion?" She asked pulling back looking at Darnell. "We, left him with Micah until what, wait what happened? How could this happen? Like who would do something like this?" He asked I could tell Olivia was getting overwhelmed so I wrapped my arms around her. "I'll give you the condensed version." "I forget you haven't been around." She told him the story of Tyrone and Coops history. "Wait, wait wait you said his name was Tyrone?" "Yeah why what is it." "Was that?" I looked at Darnell and he nodded. "Fuck." I groaned I've never seen the guy until today and I didn't even put two and two together.

We spent our night sitting in the hospital waiting room. Coach bought us stuff from the vending machine even though we couldn't eat the anticipation wasn't sitting well with us. Olivia spent most of the hours staring into space. Darnell slept on my shoulder, Coach and miss Grace rested their eyes. I texted Jordan making sure he was okay at home. When the sun rose I got an energy drink from the vending machine, Darnell standing next me. "I know in your face that you're thinking of finding him." "Then you know I am." "He might hurt you too." "That's my brother, I could care less." "But I care about you." "You won't change my actions." "I know but promise me you'll be safe." "Of course." He hugged me before leaving the hospital.

"Since when did you two get close?" "A while ago, but we just started doing stuff." "So he's mr. study date." "Yes, he's been around since a couple weeks after the game." "Really that's quite a long time. And you didn't tell me." "I was seeing what would happen, like how you didn't tell me you had feeling for Asher." "Really?" "Yes, really." "Do you want to change? I have clothes in the car?" "No im good." "Okay." "Olivia. Alexis." JJ said coming in hugging us. He sat in the chair as we all waited. Darnell came back with Cam after a while, JJ and I got up. JJ dapped both of them saying hello. "You good?" I asked and he nodded wrapping his arms around me. "Hey I really appreciate you coming with me, man." "Bet man a little schoolyard beef ain't mean Spencer not family." "I appreciate that bro." The three of us sat down in the chairs. I rested my head on Darnells shoulder looking at everyone. "Everyone listen to me. This is not a funeral, do you understand. My son promised me he would come through this surgery whole. Whole, I believe him. And Spencer needs his family. His whole family, to Believe in him right now. Am I clear." I nodded my head looking at her. She instructed us to get up and stand in a hallway to pep talk Spencer before his surgery. We all said something to make him smiled all touching him and letting a prayer out for him. "He'll be our soon, d." I told Dillion holding onto the boy. He nodded hugging me. Mrs. Baker and Asher were able to convince Olivia to go home and shower. I told her I'd text her if anything changes. Leila stayed with us too helping us with Dillion. "Spencer's our of surgery. Sleeping now but all the indications are positive." A sigh was released knowing his was gonna be alright. "So the surgery was a success?" Leila asked. "See. I knew he was gonna be balling in no time, lil man." "Well that's no." She trailed off. "All the fragments of the bullet were removed. So it was a success in that sense." "Do they think he'll have movement?" I asked. "Doctor Taylor says assessing damage to the Nervous system is difficult." "So when can we see him?" "Well we can go see how he's feeling when he wakes up, come on." She told her son walking down the hall.

"I'm not gonna tell her, I texted coach baker and a couple people I know. People in community already are outside with signs." "So your going to the store." I nodded. "I'll be back in two hours max okay." "Okay, I'll be here with D." "I'll bring something for you two to eat." "Thanks, Lex." "Of course." I took Darnells house key walking back to the house to get my car and purse. I drove to the conscience store getting baby candles, a lighter, posters and pens for people to write signs. When it got darker and the sun was setting I lit the candles with the help of Kia and some other people. People held signs other candles, Beverly kids and Crenshaw kids stood in the area below Spencer's window. I texted coach Baker to show miss Grace people will ride with Spencer till the end. "Thank you Kia." "Anything for him." I smiled looking up seeing Spencer's shadow in the window. "Have you seen him." "Sadly I haven't been let in family only." "And you're to light to be in." "Yes." We chuckled looking up. The group of people stayed while I went and got Dillion and Darnell something to eat. They were back in the waiting room sitting where I had left them. "Chicken nuggets and fries." "Yes!" "And a cheese burger extra bacon." "You know me too well." I sat on the floor in front of them eating my food. "So how is he?" "Good especially after seeing what you created." "It wasn't just me." "But you got the ball moving that's the hard part." "Thanks Lexi, I needed that." "You're already done?" "Yeah, I'm going to find my mom." "Okay, D. Don't touch anything you shouldn't." When Darnell and I finished our food I threw away the trash laying on the waiting room chair with him again. "I really appreciate you being here with us, and through everything." "I wouldn't be anywhere else." "I can tell we're going on day three in the same clothes." "You only wear a white tee and jeans hard to tell when you do change clothes." He laughed. "I just want them to be okay. This is gonna be hard on everyone." "I know, Olivia is in there now." I nodded laying my head down on him.

Season 2, episode 11