part 26

I woke up a few hours later. Most kids that had followed us had already been brought back home and some of the older ones as well. Now it was just me, dad, Angelic, Lola and Tony still in the van.
As we kept driving, I noticed we were heading in the direction of the local airport...
I still hadn't heard where my father was planning to go, but I started getting an idea of where we were going.

"Why are we heading to the airport?" I asked quickly.

My dad sighed.
"Go back to sleep, I'll wake you up when we get there. That way I won't have you fucking going on and on about where we are going!" He said angrily.

"I just want to make sure you're not thinking of leaving anyone behind, like Dante or mama!" The air became so tense, you could almost cut it.

"If you keep going like this, we'll leave you behind as well! If they get arrested, they got nothing on them, they'll be free in no time! If you, or me, or anyone that's left in this fucking van gets arrested, I can't assure they will ever get free again! So if you'd prefer that, go ahead, get out now and go find your brother or mama!" He clenched his fists around the steering wheel and sighed.

"Alright, I understand," I answered.
He didn't want this either, but there was no other option than to become normal, Italian, civilians, without part of our family...

We got to the airport without any more talking.

When we walked in, we got greeted by some high profile looking, fellas.

"Mr D'andre!" They said as soon as they saw my father. The usual routine, they see my dad, start acting all grateful and bring us whatever we want, plane tickets, past the security, onto the first plane to Italy.

My father fixes these things with one little phone call and everyone always listen, either cause they need something from him or cause they are scared and don't have a choice. It was fun sometimes, having everyone running around for you, it sometimes felt like we were royal, like we owned everything and everyone! No worrying what people think of you, cause if they think something wrong, they will regret it quick you know.

I knew that once we got to Italy and had to stay low, we wouldn't be able to have all that anymore, cause it gets people's attention, get them looking at you, complaining that we get everything for free and get first in line, they don't like that.

We got on the plane, first-class, of course.
My father looked over at me, catching me enjoying these times, the free stuff, extra stuff everything.
"Stop gazing and get in your seat! We don't have all day," he said a bit annoyed.

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered.

He gave me a soft push in my back towards a seat.
"Sit over there, opposite of me."
I looked up at him quickly, he usually sat opposite of Dante or important people he had to talk to. I usually got to sit either on some other side of the table or in this case, cabinet, or I had to sit next to him to keep him safe...

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"I wouldn't have said it if I wasn't, would I?!"

I nodded quickly and sat down on the seat he had assigned to me. He sat down opposite of me like he said he would, leaning back in his seat, one leg over the other, leaving only a tiny bit of space between his knee and the little table that was stationed between the two seats.

I sat forward, leaning with my crossed arms on the table, still wondering why I had to sit there, especially after him getting so pissed with me earlier. It was probably so he could face me as he got mad with me, but he didn't say anything for a while and just stared out the window, with sad eyes.

I knew I was wrong to speak up earlier. I shouldn't have gone on about it, it wasn't just me having to leave people behind. He had to choose to leave them behind and that's even harder to get around.

I looked at my hands for a second, clenching them with every thought that got into my head. I wanted this, everything to be over, to get back to the way things were before, but I knew that wasn't as easy and we would probably have to stay for quite a while.

After a while, the plane started driving a bit, before ascending into the air. Towards Italy. Towards Sicily.

"Dominic," my dad's serious voice sounded, once the plane started calming down again. "I want you to know that everyone is going to be alright, mom, Dante, everyone, they will be alright. I promise on my life. You can calm down alright."

I sighed.
"I know."
I had already calmed myself down and trusted in what he was planning, so I could tell from the fact that he said this anyway, that it was more meant for himself than to me... and I didn't know if that was a good thing or not.

"Have you figured out where we're staying yet?" I asked after he had finished another of his many phone calls.

"We won't be staying with anyone," he started calmly with a little sigh. " we'll get our own house, I'll get a job and depending on how long this will take, you might also have to get a job soon...
We won't be staying in a very big house either, because if we just get the biggest and most luxurious house in town, that will get a lot of attention from everyone and that is the exact opposite of what we want..."

I nodded my head, I had never really lived in a small house or gotten a different job than to just work for my dad since we had always lived rich since my grandfather first started this business, which was even before my father was born and I have always been grateful for it towards him.
Now we had to hide and live like this because I decided to trust some fucking rat and I felt like I had thrown everything away my grandpa had built.

I looked at down at the table for a while, realising everything that was going to happen, everything, our entire lives would get thrown upside down. The plans we had would all get mixed up, but there was no other choice.

"Dom, we'll be fine, this life will be okay, I promise." I heard my dad's voice.

"Yeah, I know."