part 28

*bang bang* 2 loud bangs on the door.
"Wake up shitface, dad needs you! Get dressed and come out already!" Angelic's voice sounded from the other side of the door.

I was still half asleep and could barely make out what she was saying.
"W-what?" I stumbled a bit dazed.

"She said your dad needs you," Lola giggled next to me. She seemed to have been awake for a while, since she already sat up straight with a book in her hands.

"Uuhg thanks..." I replied.

I got up, got dressed and walked into the living room.
"Dom, goodmorning." My dad started. "I would like you to come with me today."

I sat down on the couch, next to the seat that he seemed to claim.
"Uuhm, yeah sure... when do you want to leave?" I asked, still a bit dazed by the abrupt awakening.

"Get ready, eat some breakfast and then we'll get going."

I nodded softly before I got up to get ready.
I jumped under the shower, brushed my teeth and quickly got some breakfast ready. Worked that in my mouth and walked back to him.

"Have I thought you anything boy? What are you wearing?" He asked a bit jokingly.
As he said so, I noticed he had changed clothes from last night.

"I.. this was the only set of clothes I had with me, are there any clothes here?"

"Yes I got some in for everyone this morning." He said as he pointed at a pile of fresh looking clothes that were stacked on a trolley that was placed left of the front door.

I only then noticed that he had also changed clothes. He was wearing a pair of tailored trousers, a white, button up shirt, a grey jacket and a panama hat.

I sighted and picked up a set that seemed around my size

"You are lucky that you are good looking, makes up for the lack of brains in you." He said as he put his hand on my shoulder and smiled.

I went in my room and quickly got dressed.
After I walked out again, I walked in a circle to jokingly show the clothes to my father, but he didn't pay too much attention.

They weren't quite the clothes I was used to, but my father told me we should try not to attract too much attention.
I wore a pair of somewhat wide, ripped jeans, some sneakers and an oversized flannel that I tucked into the jeans.

"Did you get the ID cards already?" I asked.

He grabbed a pile of cards out of his pockets, browsed through them for a couple of seconds, picked out one and threw it my way.

It was a little blue card with a picture of my face on the left side with some information next to it.
I looked at the information, everything seemed normal except the name: "Charlie Romano" it read.

"Charlie? is that the name you picked for me?" I said with laughter in my voice.

" I didn't pick them, my old pal had these laying around so I just picked ones that fitted best and had our pictures printed on them." He said. "Don't worry, mine isn't much better." he walked over to me and showed me another blue card.

this time it had his face on it, but the name read: "Guido Romano"
I couldn't help but burst out laughing, but before I could react, a smack on the back of my head.
"That's enough, it's not that funny."

"Sorry Guido" I replied with a big grin on my face.

"Alright let's get going."

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked a bit confused.

"I found someone who got a job for you. They want to meet you first so let's go."

We took the bus again, but it was still early so it wasn't as crowded as before.

We got out at a old and not very well looked after station. graffiti all over the walls of the booth, all the seats were either hanging off, broken off or set on fire before so that you could see the scortch marks.

there weren't much people around, only a few kids hanging around the booth. They seemed somewhat scetchy to me, but apart from looking at us weird, they didn't bother us as we passed them by.

after about 5 minutes of walking, we stopped in front of an old book store.

"Is this it?" I asked a bit shocked.

he nodded.

"what? I know nothing about books.."

"well good thing you'll be working in the back mostly and hey maybe you'll learn something, now come on." He put his hand on my shoulder and walked in with me.

"Aaahh Giovani, you made it! then this must be Dominic?" an elderly Italian man standing by one of the large bookcases that stood around the shop asked.

he held his arms wide open to embrace my father, who smiled and tightly hugged the man.

"It's good to see you again friend, but please call me Guido and my son Charlie. We wouldn't want anyone hearing those names alright?" my father replied.

the man nodded gently and then focused his attention to me.

"Charlie ey, it's good to finally meet you, I've heard a lot about you." he embraced me tightly aswell.

I smiled at him a bit awkwardly.

"My name is Luigi." he explained.

I had heard that name before, my father had talked about him back home, about how he met him when he stayed in Italy before any of us children were born and how the 2 of them became good friends very quickly and that Luigi had always been loyal to my father. It was good to finally meet the man of those stories.

"I heard you will be working here with me?" he asked. "I could use a pair of young hands around here!"

I smiled and looked over at my father.
"Yes I suppose I will. I'd be happy to work for you sir."

"alright, you can start here monday next week."

"Thank you sir, I will see you then!"