V.

.:*:・・:*:.
"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

(Hamlet, act 2 scene 2)
.:*:・・:*:.

****

I had tears in my eyes. The book was absolutely beautiful.  The writing style, the layout, the quotes, just beautiful.

Wiping my tears away, I closed the book, placing it on the table. Looking up at the clock, I realised it was four in the morning. I should probably get some sleep.

*

Waking up, I stretched. But I then scratched my head in thought. I wasn't sure what my dream had been about, but I remembered the sensation of a soft touch on my cheek. It was gentle, caressing my skin . Then a light kiss was given on my forehead. It was obviously a dream, but it had been so peaceful, and I'd felt safe for some reason, which was a stupid thought, because how could you feel safe in a stupid dream?

Breakfast was of the usual sort. Coco talking about herself, and how great her life used to be. Gallant laughing around with Stu about random shit.

The whole time I'd been eating, I'd felt eyes on me. But every time I glanced up, no one was looking. It was a strange sensation, one that reminded me of my dream. Weird.

*

This time when Ms Venable came into the library, I didn't jump. I'd expected her to come at some point for her book.

"Good afternoon Ms Aldean" Ms Venable greeted, sitting down gracefully, crossing her legs.

"Hey....thanks for letting me read this book" I picked it up and handed it to her. She took it, and our hands brushed together again, and just like before, the tingles shot through my hand all the way through my body. Like electricity. There was no mistaking the fact I knew Ms Venable had felt it too, because she wore the same shocked expression as me. We quickly retreated hands and sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Did you like it? The book?" Ms Venable didn't make eye contact, she watched the soft fire in the room.

"Yes, I thought it was stunningly beautiful" Just like you....

"I'm glad, I hoped you would" She 'hoped' I would?

After a while, we sort of did our own thing, Ms Venable found a book on the shelf, settling down to start reading, and as did I. This was just truly perfect. Me and her, in a room full of words and poetry.

A couple of hours had past when I returned to reality. I'd only stopped reading because I had that sensation again, someone was looking at me like the way I'd felt in my dream. Again.

When I glanced up, it was Ms Venable. It was only now that I noticed her book was closed on her lap, and her chin was resting in one of her hands, and she was just gazing at me, lost in thought. I blinked a couple of times, not believing her sole attention was on me. Why would it be?

Ms Venable jumped out of her trance, coughing loudly. Was it just me or was she nervous?

"Ms Aldean?" She began, but I don't think she knew where she was going with it.

"Yes Ms Venable?"

There was a moment of silence, both of us just studying each other. I know that I must have said this a thousand times, but she was just fucking beautiful.

Then Ms Venable put her book into the table and stood up.

"Come, it's dinner" She paused for me, then I realised that she was waiting for me to walk with her. Oh damn, I'd never done that before.

Walking down the corridors and down the stairs, there was a comfortable silence between us. The sound of Ms Venable's cane had become a sound I yearned for, but then hated at the same time. I'd listen for it to indicate she was coming to me, but then the empty feeling when I'd hear it fade out into the distance. I think it was safe to say, I was completely and utterly infatuated by her.

As Ms Venable opened the dining room door, all the other purples looked up in surprise. And I didn't blame them. The sight of seeing Ms Venable with someone other than Ms Mead was not usual.

"You may eat" Ms Venable announced, sitting down as I did too. Zoning out of array of loud voices, I lost myself in my thoughts.

The last two weeks, I'd felt something I hadn't done in years. Feeling okay. Not necessarily happy, but just content. And I knew the reason for it. When I woke up every morning, there was one thing that gave me motivation to get up, the thought of Ms Venable sitting with me in the library. Of course it didn't happen everyday, but that just made me more motivated because I'd look forward to when it would happen again.

Once I'd finished eating, I looked up to glance at Ms Venable, but was surprised when she was already looking at me.

"You may go" Ms Venable dismissed everyone, and she disappeared through the door very quickly, tapping her cane as she went.

That was a little odd, normally she'd sit for a few minutes and roll her eyes at the conversation topics, but she'd gone just as the last person had set down their cutlery.

*

Four days later, I yawned, I opening a new book, that I hadn't even checked the name of it. It was nighttime, midnight to be exact, and here I was, as usual, in the library.

Ms Venable hadn't come to me in library for four days, and just like the first time she'd aired me, she hadn't given me a second glance. It confused me. This was twice now. What had I done? Was it my fault? I kept wracking my brains but I never came to any conclusions.

When I'd read about a fifth of the book, the door opened and in came Ms Venable. I jumped a little, not expecting her to come at this time of day. I'd never seen her around later than eleven.

"Good morning Ms Aldean" Morning? Glancing at the clock, I noticed it was half one, so it was technically the morning.

"Er....hello Ms Venable" I spoke nervously. What if I did something to drive her away again? She sat herself down on the arm chair opposite me, and rested her cane against the table.

"Can I ask you a question Ms Venable?" Confidence has suddenly swept into me. I just wanted to know.

"You just did" Ms Venable said, but without a hint of humour. Maybe she wasn't in a good mood or something. But then she nodded her head yes.

"Have I done something to upset you? It's just, I feel like I have. You haven't spoke to me in days, please just tell me what I've done wrong" I sounded more desperate than I intended.

Ms Venable looked away, sighing quietly to herself, like she was trying to find the right words to reply.

"There is nothing you have done wrong Ms Aldean, and the way I act does not need to be questioned" Ms Venable's voice was harsh and cold. I wasn't expecting her answer said in that way, but it is what it is. I looked to the ground in shame. I shouldn't have even spoken. She was probably more mad at me than she was in the first place. Stupid me.

"Do not ever question me again Ms Aldean"

"Okay. Sorry Ms Venable" I mumbled. Why did I always have to fuck everything up? Tears sprung to my eyes at her words. She hated me. The woman I was falling for hated me.

I stood up, and walked quickly towards the door. But before I could reach for the handle, something grabbed my wrist. Or should I say the something was in fact a someone.

Ms Venable.

****