VIII.

.:*:・・:*:.
"To die, to sleep – to sleep, perchance to dream – ay, there's the rub, for in this sleep of death what dreams may come..."

(Hamlet, act 3 scene 1)
.:*:・・:*:.

****

Stretching, my eyes opened, and I let out a little yawn. Then I sat up, remembering the events of last night. Looking to my side, I realised that Ms Venable wasn't next to me like she was last night. In fact, she wasn't in the room altogether. My heart sank, what if she thought it was a mistake? She'd obviously left before I woke up, and in normal life, that would mean it was an one night stand. Then I glanced over at the clock across the room, realising that I was late for breakfast. Cursing, I quickly threw on my dress from yesterday. I didn't even have enough time to get a new one. I stood in front of the mirror, and gasped when I saw the state of my hair. It was well and truly the exact image of 'sex-hair'. Quickly, I brushed it with a comb I'd found on Ms Venable's dressed, hoping she wouldn't mind. Once I was content with my appearance, making myself look like I definitely hadn't had sex with the outpost leader.

"You're late" Ms Venable's voice was cold when I entered the dining room. Everyone was looking up at me, which caused me to involuntary blush.

"Sorry Ms Venable" I spoke quietly, sitting down in my usual seat next to her. Then everyone started to eat, engaging in small conversations. Ms Venable took this opportunity to talk to me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to leave you alone, but I didn't want anyone to notice me being late" Her eyes seemed apologetic.

I just smiled gently, "It's okay....I really enjoyed last night" I looked away shyly. Then I felt a light touch on my knee, Ms Venable had placed her hand on my leg. Not in a sexual way, but a sweet one.

"So did I sweetheart" My heart skipped a beat when she used that pet name.

"I like it when you call me that" I placed a hand over hers.

"Then I guess I won't stop calling you that" My heart just melted there and then. Who knew how much of a softie Ms Venable actually was.

Then she cleared her throat suddenly, letting go of my knee and straightened up. I realised that Coco had a raised eyebrow and looked slightly confused. Shit. Luckily she didn't seem to give it too much thought though, because she just continued her conversation.

*

"Hello Karinya" I looked up from my book to see Ms Venable lock the library door, and sat next to me.

"Hello there, Wilhelmina" I giggled at using her first name, I still wasn't used to that.

"What are you reading?" She asked, taking the book from my hands.

"Persuasion, Jane Austen" Ms Venable smiled at me.

"You like romantics then?" I blushed, ouch, she caught me out.

"Well, yes....I am a bit of a romantic myself" I looked down to my feet. I didn't know why I felt embarrassed, but I did.

"Don't look away" Ms Venable spoke softly, lifting my chin with a finger. Then I got lost in her eyes, something I'd never tire of.

"Sorry" I mumbled, "It's just you make me nervous, and I never want t-" I was cut off by lips pressing against mine. My arms wrapped around Ms Venable automatically as she kissed me.

"Are you still nervous?" She asked, pulling away. I shook my head slowly.

"No" She smiled at my response, holding my hand, and sighed.

"I think Ms Vanderbilt noticed something wrong"

I nodded. "Yeah, Coco is kind of observant when it comes to things like this" Ms Venable raised a perfect eyebrow.

"Things like what?" She asked curiously. She was trying to see what I thought about our situation. Us.

"Well, w-whatever's happening between...." I gestured to the space in between us, hoping she'd understand what I meant.

"Karinya, will you be mine? Properly?" Ms Venable asked, biting her lip nervously. My stomach soared to the ceiling, and my heart bursted with joy.

"Of course I will, silly" I pulled her into a kiss, and it grew more passionate. My hands ran up her sides as she tangled her hands in my hair to pull me closer. Just as things started to get really heated, there was a noise at the door, like someone had tried opening it but realised it was locked. Both of their eyes widened in panic whilst they tried to decide what to do.

"Karinya, are you in there? It's Coco"

I shook my head in confusion. Why had she come to see me? Ms Venable stood up quickly, and gave me a quick peck and whispering, "I'm going to have to tell you off, I'm sorry sweetheart" I smiled reassuringly, knowing that she wouldn't mean whatever she was going to say.

"If I ever catch you trying to sneak out books to your room, there will be severe consequences!" Ms Venable shouted, making sure Coco would hear. Her eyes looked so apologetic as she walked to the door and swung it open, walking past Coco. My stomach was in nervous knots when Coco came in. She had a quizzical expression on her face as she sat down.

"Why did she lock the door to tell you off?" I shrugged in reply, not knowing what to use an excuse.

"Er, I don't know....maybe because she didn't want me to leave? She seemed pretty angry and didn't want to let me off" I mentally crossed my fingers.

Coco paused, then nodded, "Okay"

I sighed in relief, but Coco noticed that, and her questioning expression returned. Fuck you Karinya! You just fucked it up!!

"During meal times recently, I've noticed Ms Venable staring at you, and I was sure that once Ms Venable came out of you room the other night...." The staring wasn't much of a surprise, because I stared at Ms Venable too, but her in my room? I definitely hadn't had her in my room, because I'd definitely notice. Unless....that 'dream' I had was actually real and I was half asleep, and she was actually stroking my hair, and kissed my forehead. Wow, if that was true, my heart had melted.

"No" I said simply, "I don't know what you mean"

Coco just crossed her arms, "If you say so"

****