XII.

.:*:・・:*:.
"The rest is silence."

(Hamlet, act 5 scene 2)
.:*:・・:*:.

****

I threw on my dark purple robe and raced down the corridor, not caring who I'd bump into. Lucky I didn't see anyone though. As soon as I arrived at Ms Venable's door, I tried to open it but of course it was locked. So I knocked desperately.

"Mina, please, I can explain."

There was no reply so I knocked again, "Please, please open the door. It wasn't what it looked like."

My hand fell to my side. I knew her well, and if she hadn't opened the door already, she wouldn't do it anytime soon.

I rested my head against her door and let a few tears roll down my face. Fucking Dinah. I hate her.

I hate her I hate her.

She'd just ruined every bit of trust Ms Venable had in me. Dinah had ruined everything.

*

After a sleepless night, I got out of bed in the morning. One glance in the mirror was enough to set my tears off again. I looked like shit, dark circles and tears eyes.

But I had to follow the routine. So I got changed into my purple dress and went to breakfast. I took a quick glance at everyone but immediately looked down so no one would see the state my face was in. Then I noticed that Ms Venable wasn't there.

Where was she?

Why was I even asking myself that question? She was obviously in her room.

Was she crying? Was she asleep? Is it my fault? Of course it's my fault, idiot.

The first thing I did after breakfast was go to Ms Venable's room, knocking and trying to talk through the door, but she didn't come. She didn't even make a sound.

Guilt washed through my body even though I knew it was Dinah who'd pushed herself onto me. But I could have fought back harder. I could have punched her in the face instead of my weak attempts. I was so incredibly stupid. Deep down I knew there was nothing else I could have done but that side of my brain loved telling me that everything was my fault and that I'd fucked everything up again. My first meaningful relationship and I'd managed to mess it all to pieces.

*

Six days had passed, and not a single sight or noise was made from Ms Venable. All the other purples had grown a little worried, which wasn't something they thought they'd ever feel towards her, but I guess that she was the one who always kept things in order. And since Ms Venable had disappeared, Ms Mead wasn't doing a brilliant job and keeping everyone in check. There was constant ruckus and noise at night from the purples. Ms Mead didn't have the same aura and presence like Ms Venable did. My Ms Venable could just tap her cane once and everyone would fall in line.

I sighed, rubbing my now permanently sore eyes. I hadn't knocked on her door this morning. I'd been knocking everyday, morning, mid morning, lunch, afternoon, evening, night. But I was slowly giving up. It had almost been a week of not seeing her and what chance did I have. I couldn't explain myself to her and I could tell her how much she meant to me.