X.

.:*:・・:*:.
"That one may smile and smile and be a villain."

(Hamlet, act 1 scene 5)
.:*:・・:*:.

****

I was frozen. Well and truly frozen. It was so silent that we could have heard a pin drop.

Suddenly Ms Venable stood up and grabbed her cane. She glanced at me with an expression I couldn't interpret. I thought she was going to say something but she pushed past Coco and left, practically running.

"Coco, I can ex-" I started, trying to find an excuse but Coco inturrupted me.

"Did she force herself on you?" Her nose wrinkled in disgust.

"No!" I almost yelled, standing up.

"Then....you? And Ms Venable? What the fuck?! She's a monster! Don't you ever wonder what happened to Stu? She fucking killed him!"

"Don't call her that! She is not a monster!" Anger coursed through my veins.

"Look at you! How could you even think about....whatever you were doing with her?" Coco's face twisted slightly, seemingly grossed out. In the heat of the moment I stepped in front of her, pushing her slightly.

"Shut the fuck up. Just shut up. And don't you even dare think about telling the others." I tried to maintain a strong attitude but I felt myself crumbling. Yes, I knew that Ms Venable had done horrible things in her life time, yes, I knew that she'd killed people and got joy out of punishment, but can't people change?

"Fucking hell Karinya." Coco sighed, rubbing her temples.

"Don't tell the others. Please." I begged quietly, "I don't know what I'd do if...." I looked down to the floor, my voice cracking slightly. Coco eyed me, trying to come to a decision.

"I-fine" She huffed slightly, crossing her arms. Relief rushed over me. Thank fuck.

"Thank you, you have no idea....I lo- I mean, I care about her. She's shown me the most kindness than I've ever received in my life."

"Kindness? Are you sure we're talking about the same bitch here?"

My mouth dropped open, "What the fuck? Don't call her a bitch!" I yelled, stepping backwards, "You have no right! You don't even know her."

"Karinya, calm down. You can't expect me to welcome the fact you're involved with Ms Venable! She's sadistic, she's a bloody masochist! She doesn't deserve someone like you! You're the sweetest and most pure person I know and she's going to corrupt you. And I see that she already has! A month ago you wouldn't have back chatted to me like that!" Coco raised her eyebrows at me.

And I knew that was true. There was no way I'd even raise my voice. But the way Ms Venable had impacted me was for the good. She'd shown me confidence.

"So you think me being defenceless would be better? Just taking in all the shit you're giving me without standing my ground? She's a better person than you could ever be." I knew that my words were harsh but it was about time someone put her in her place. It made me sick how much she pushed everyone around, especially the greys.

Coco was about to open her mouth and explode when the library door opened, revealing an annoyed Ms Mead.

"Why can I hear shouting?" She demanded. Her small but stern presence seemed to diffuse the situation.