XVIII.

.:*:・・:*:.
"Remember me."

(Hamlet)
.:*:・・:*:.

****

After Mallory's Spell

****

I jerked awake, almost falling out of my bed. No, quite literally falling out of my bed with a thump. A groan escaped my lips, knowing that it was a necessity for me to get up today. By necessity I meant getting up  to go to work, so I could pay for the bills. With a yawn, I rubbed my eyes, sitting up reluctantly.

"Meow." A little tabby cat otherwise known as Luna, entered room, sidling up to me with her usual narrowed eyes. We both knew what she wanted; food. With raised eyebrows, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and got to my feet. Cold air immediately hit my body, creating another groan to escape my lips. Luna trailed after me as I grabbed a robe and walked to the kitchen. The first thing I did was get her food out and place it in a bowl in front of her, sighing when she paid no attention to me now that her needs were met.

"Oh, you're welcome." I mumbled grumpily, exiting the kitchen and going to the bathroom to start my morning routine. Once I was showered and dressed, I stood in front of the mirror with a sigh. Average. There was nothing special about me, just an average girl. I was wearing my uniform, the store uniform. I know right, such an exciting job.

"Alright, time to roll." I spoke to myself often, maybe because I didn't have many friends to talk to anyway, but I did read something somewhere that talking to yourself was an effective way of thinking. Well, don't quote me on that.

Grabbing my bag and stroking Luna goodbye, I left my apartment, running down the stairway because I'd come to the sad realisation that I was probably going to be late. The store wasn't far, only a few blocks away. So soon, within ten minutes, I arrived at work, panting pathetically whilst fumbling around to open the back door.

"Morning Jeff." I walked into the staff room and called out to my boss, a kind old man who was almost like a father figure to me.

"Good morning kiddo, how are you doing?" Jeff smiled, his face lighting up a little with a smile.

"Meh, tired, but alive." Jeff chuckled, because that was the answer I normally gave him, mainly because I knew it always made him smile.

"That reassuring, no one else can stack the baked beans the way you do." Jeff laughed, as did I.

"Excuse me old chap, but I think I do a pretty good job too." A voice was heard behind me, so I automatically smiled, knowing it was Carlos. He was the closest person I had to a friend, but he was more like a guy you could laugh around with at work.

"You're not late, I'm impressed." My eyebrows raised at him as he crossed his arms in defence.

"What is up with you two, I'm a brilliant hard worker, who is never late and can stack baked beans perfectly well." His pout only sent me and Jeff laughing.

Sometimes my daily routine wasn't quite so dull and lonely.

~

"So.. I may or may not have talked to my sister.." Carlos grinned, leaning against the counter as I finished talking to a customer. I raised an eyebrow curiously, then my expression quickly changed into an excited smile.

"Wait, you don't mean.." I trailed off, clasping my hands together to contain a squeal.

"Yup, I spoke to Roslyn, and after a lot of persuading, you've now got an interview." Carlos pretended to polish his nails, "You owe me, big time."