The phone call

Y/n's P.o.v.

The middle-aged, British lady, Ms Baker, who lives down the road, rang my doorbell two days after the note had arrived. She bore a container of soup and a loaf of bread.

"Good morning." I put on a smile when I opened the door for her. 

"Good morning, dearie. I brought you a meal," She smiled.

"That's so thoughtful of you! Would you like to come in and have a cup of tea?" 

I led her to the kitchen, where I had been washing up from breakfast, regretting my hospitality. But I saw no other way to thank people like Ms Baker, who had given up their  time to cook me and Elara a meal, or send a card, tweet or DM, sending their love and prayers or checking in. Ashley and Jordan had been around every day, and the  Why Don't We boys, Eben, and Caspary had also dropped in a few times. 

"What would you like?" I asked, putting on the kettle.

"Just an English Breakfast would be nice. With milk, and no sugar," She smiled. 

She really is lovely, but I didn't really feel up to socialising. I checked my watch. Jordan and Ashley said they'd be around in 10 minutes about 7 minutes before. I would have to try my best to make polite conversation until they arrived.

I asked her about her week, and got her to talk about herself for a while, then she asked about Elara, who had just come into the room, dressed in a pirate costume, and pushing a pram with a toy lion in it. The doorbell rang.

"I'll get it," Elara sung out merrily.

I introduced Ms Baker to my brother and sister in law, and Ashley quickly stuck up a polite conversation, relieving me of the task.

"Any news about your hubby?" Ms Baker suddenly turned to me. It was well intended, but it caught me off guard. 

"No..." I choked back tears, and forced another smile. "I, uh, I'll be back in a second."

I needed some space. I raced upstairs to my bedroom and sunk down on the floor, burying my face in one of Bean's hoodies that still smelt of him. And I sobbed. 

Presently, I heard footsteps coming upstairs. 

"Hey, uh, are you okay?" Jordan came over and sat down next to me.

He put his arm around me, and I leant my head on his shoulder, taking deep breaths to slow my tears. 

"I just miss him so much...*sob* and I didn't expect her to *sob* ask about him..."

"I miss him too..."

We sat in silence for a while, and I finally stopped crying. Then Elara came in.

"Aunty Ashley said to tell you that Ms Baker is leaving," She said. "Mummy, are you okay?" 

She sat down next to me and hugged me. I pulled her close.

"I just miss daddy. Come on, let's go downstairs again," I got up, and headed to the bathroom to wash my face, then followed Jordan and Elara downstairs. 

"I was just leaving. I'm sorry I upset you, dearie," Ms Baker cooed when I came into the room. 

"It's fine. Thanks for the food." I followed her to the door, said goodbye, and closed the door behind her with a sigh. 

Jordan and Ashley took me and Elara out for lunch. While we were eating, I got a text from Eben: 

"Hey, Y/n! I have in my calendar that we were going to do a photoshoot this afternoon, and I was wondering if you're still down. If you're not, that's cool too. It's completely up to you."

Of course I was down. Photography is my career, and I love it more than almost anything in the world. Seriously, turning your favourite hobby into your job is the best thing ever. And, anyway, if I hadn't apprenticed to Caspary, I'd never have met Corbyn. 

Eben came to pick Elara and I up at 3, and we drove to a really nice park I'd had my eye on to do a photoshoot in for a while. That's what happens when you're a photographer: you take note of places where it'd be cool to take photos. I usually vlog photoshoots so I can post a behind the scenes (because personally I love watching behind the scenes videos for anything; movies, photoshoots, music videos, you name it! And I know I'm not the only one). I vlogged this photoshoot too, but, as I told Eben, I wasn't sure if I was going to ever post it.

The park I'd chosen for the shoot has a massive rose garden. I'd gotten Eben to bring a bunch of different hoodies to contrast with the different coloured roses, and the effect was even more impressive than I had anticipated. The photoshoot was so much fun. Eben is the best to work with, and Elara even posed with him; a rare occurrence, as she's not much of a model, and can't sit still.

Eben stayed for dinner (the soup Ms Baker had brought around). Suddenly, and quite unexpectedly, the landline rung. An unknown caller. I put it on speakerphone just in case.

"Hello? Y/n Besson speaking." 

"The money is due in 5 days. Have it ready or else..." The voice was a man's voice. It was horse and deep. Threatening and cutthroat. "Bleeeeeeep." The unknown calle hung up.

I stared at Eben terrified.

"Let's go to the police." Eben picked up his car keys. I nodded, and followed him to his car, picking up a half asleep Elara from her high chair.

How much longer was this going to go on for?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey again! So glad you've read this far :) Tell me what you think down below

I hope you enjoyed this part and stay tuned for the next :)

'Till next part :)

(Also, if you're bored, I have an Instagram art account: @am_the_limelight)