Chapter Thirty-Two

It had only been a day and Thomas barely slept the night before. He tossed and turned, worrying over Kristine. Wasn't Gabriel worried about Anne, too? The two of them knew the potential danger, so why were they not taking better control of the situation?
Thomas had had enough sitting around and walked over to Gabriel who was getting supplies ready for their attack on the British.
"How are you so calm?" Thomas spoke quite forcefully but kept his tone low.
Gabriel turned to his little brother after saddling his horse. "What do you suggest we do?"
"Split up," said Thomas. "I can get to town in a few hours. You've got things under control here, don't you?"
Gabriel sighed. "You're asking me to lead a group of Militiamen on my own? Thomas..."
Thomas spoke quickly to get his idea and point across. "Gabriel, if I do this, I can watch over both Kristine AND Anne."

It was a good idea, but traveling alone was a bad idea.
"Thomas, it's too dangerous. You should have said something sooner, like last night, or this morning before people left to get more supplies."
Thomas was mentally kicking himself for it. he sighed. "I know..."
Gabriel stared at his brother, feeling sorry for him. He was also worried about Anne and Kristine. "If you go, you have to bring someone with you. Bring a man and a woman. That way, if a British soldier stops you, they'll think you're all merchants or..." Gabriel added, "a family." He chuckled at the thought of that.
Thomas grumbled. "Gabriel be serious here for a moment."
"I am!" Gabriel said in defense. "Do you have a better idea that doesn't involve trotting across a field, looking guilty?"
Thomas's face went from a frown to a silly grin. "I've got it!"
Gabriel raised a brow. "Oh, Lord have mercy..."

Earlier that morning, Kristine had shared Anne's room. A separate cot with plenty of blankets was set up for Kristine. It was almost too comfortable to get up. Laying on a straw mat in the camp made her back ache every morning—pregnant or not. She would have slept in the guest bedroom, but they all agreed that it was best if Kristine did not sleep alone, just in case she would to have stomach problems in the night.

The tea and butter biscuits provided that morning was the best thing Kristine had put in her mouth in weeks (concerning food, that is. Thomas was a different matter).
"Can I have another biscuit?" Kristine asked with her mouth still full from the last bite of her first biscuit.
Anne laughed. "Of course! Have as many as you like! Do you want more tea too?"
Kristine nodded quickly. "Please! Thank you!"
Last few weeks Kristine had been living in poor conditions. Not that the camp was a bad place to stay, but the food was scarce and for how far along she was, she definitely needed to put on some weight. Butter biscuits were the perfect start.

Later that day, Anne took Kristine around the town and showed her how they fed the livestock, the well where they got their water, and the small market where fish and meat was sold. There was even a bakery shop and a place for women to buy frilly dresses and skirts.
Kristine couldn't help but ogle at the clothing store. She desperately wanted finer clothes and shoes. The things she was wearing now were starting to wear and tear, no thanks to the harsh conditions of the camp.
"Hey, look!" Anne pointed off into the distance. "A rider!"
Kristine narrowed her eyes to get a better look and put her hand over her eyes to block out the sun. "It looks like a woman."
Anne strained to get a better look. "I think you're right!"

As the female rider approached the town, they were quick about getting off the horse and striding the rest of the way into town. They wore layers upon layers of clothes and a coat far too big and a hat that drooped down to cover their face.
"Who are you?" A man said, stopping the woman from coming any further into town.
Anne and Kristine walked a little closer to watch the scene unfold. Who was this mysterious female rider?
"Speak, woman!" The man yelled.
"I am no woman." A deep voice said from behind the drooping hat.
Kristine cocked her head to the side. She knew that voice. No, it can't be, She thought.