Chapter Six ... Extreme Highs

POV
Avery

Maybe seven full days after the night I lost my virginity, I woke up covered in a cold sweat

Maybe seven full days after the night I lost my virginity, I woke up covered in a cold sweat. I'd been dreaming, nightmaring really. In the nightmare, I was stuck in some cold dark and wet room, I couldn't see anything, but I could feel the four walls and hear the tale-tell drip-drip dripping of something wet. I was lucid and calling out for somebody and anybody to get me out. I couldn't feel Lumen, and my reserves were diminished, I was powerless.

It didn't take long for that part of me to return, the scared, nervous part of me. Within minutes I was on the floor hyperventilating.

That's how I woke up, with a cold sweaty shivering body, and a heaving chest. "Shhh, Sunshine, breathe, come on breathe for me." Shawn cooed, holding me tightly. I was saddened, I couldn't feel Nolis's power anymore, I felt empty again, powerless and weak. But while Shawn held me, I felt like I would be alright, at least while he held me.

Laying there my thoughts began to race, without power I couldn't protect myself even though the Marius, Athena, and I decided not to sell the shop. I'd told them about my dreams, the vision, the warnings and we looked into it, but nothing turned up, but I was still filled with anxiety... It hadn't gone away, Lumen and his lights had only buried it. And it was unearthing itself.

I closed my eyes, forcing myself to try sleeping again. Eventually, my breathing evened out and I was able to fake sleep. My mind was working overtime. Looking back, I think that was when my dependency started, I didn't want to go back to how I was. Stuttering, stumbling afraid through life. I couldn't just conjure up a new light spirit, it would take too much power, my reserves were low. Not to mention what would happen if I over juiced myself.

One of a few things... Either my solar plexus would tear, killing me or I'd never conjure again, or I'd change, become something more. Hundreds of conjurers have died over-juicing, only one I ever met who lived is Ahote and to me, he was almost like a god. I decided that night, right there in the safety of my mate's arms, to do it... To try something old and mostly forbidden.

I let Shawn fall deeper into sleep then I slipped out of bed. Quietly through the house, I walked, wolves howled off in the distances. I walked past the Alpha ward, my heightened senses picking up sounds. I froze not wanting to be caught and questioned. "Deeper... Mosh!... Deeper." My face scrunched up when I heard the clear moaning sound, coming from the Alpha ward. Adam moaned something unintelligible and I just moved faster down the hall.

I stopped by the kitchen, grabbed a small sharp knife, and continued on my way, I was like a man possessed, the only thing on my mind was getting rid of that nagging sensation of fear. Irrational fear, but still fear, one that felt tangible, one I refused to live with again.

# # #

Outside in the greenhouse, I was standing before a wall of plants and herbs. Behind me on one of the little work tables, there was a mortar and pestle, used by the pack doctors when they were making new pills, or some other werewolf elixir. I wasn't entirely sure my home brewed spell would work. There were specific rituals used for binding ghost, and though I had books on the subject, I was far too impatient to wait.