Chapter Twelve ... Ma'jek Nightmares

POV
Avery

Two days had passed since I took in the lord of the Dark Spirits

Two days had passed since I took in the lord of the Dark Spirits. Nemul's energy was slowly ebbing away from me, leaving behind a strong reserve of ma'jek. I could feel how much stronger taking such power inside me, had made me.

My friends, they had changed, they were still under pack asylum, just until we knew if Michaëlle was finished or not.

Amber was different, she did not seem to be herself mentally. I mean sure some moments she was okay, and other times she'd stare off talking to herself. Plus she could see Alice, even when my bound spirit wasn't corporeal.

Athena was sure it was a small side-effect and that it would pass. Marius and Nikki were always having whispered conversations. And nobody wanted to practice anymore.

They were all "tired of ma'jek" and blaming it for all our problems. As for me, I wanted more, more power, more ma'jek in my reserves. Silently I was on the path to addiction.

Adam had been gone almost six days, pack business was running as usual. It was quiet, I was walking through the south territory, Shawn was somewhere off in the southern edge scenting the pack's border. I was walking with Alice, she was corporeal, her curls bouncing with each step.

"They want to stop practicing, they're all scared. And I'm losing Nemul, I mean sure my reserves are... I mean I'm strong, but am I on the same level as Michaëlle?" I asked. Alice popped from beside me to in front of me in the blink of an eye. I stopped walking starting at her.

"She's strong, but you are stronger. I wish I could tell you all that I know, but it would affect the future too much. Don't you feel stronger, more knowledgeable?" She asked. I did feel stronger, I retained spells given to me while under the influence of the dark spirits. But it didn't feel like enough, honestly, I just wanted more.

"Should I bind a new spirit? I want someone who can work the elements." I said as she started floating backward, facing me as I walked forward following her.

"A new member of our spiritual coven. I can't see what it would hurt. And elemental ma'jik is useful. But you need to wait until the moon is out." She said, disappearing and reappearing beside me. And the fading voice of Nemul spoke softly against my thoughts. (The other side responds to power, you have it now. It's in your blood, command the gates to open ) The voice faded and I felt him slip away, leaving me alone with only my reserves of power and the extra juice from Alice.

"Nemul doesn't think I need to do the whole ritual. Says I just need to command the other side, maybe feed them." I said as we broke through the southern tree line and entered the side gardens of the packhouse. "Here seems like a nice place," I said, looking around at the roses and manicured hedges.