Chapter Nine ... Mambo Michaëlle Baptiste

POV
Avery

It was five-thirty, I was in the car with Shawn, behind his truck were two more cars, one with A'mosh, Keaton and Brandon

It was five-thirty, I was in the car with Shawn, behind his truck were two more cars, one with A'mosh, Keaton and Brandon. The other, Marius and Nikki drove. We were headed to meet Mambo Baptiste, we were meeting at her restaurant. The place was right outside of Lafayette, why we had to drive almost over two hours, was beneath me.

I just wanted everything to go good, I promised Athena. I was dressed up, just jeans and a hoodie. Shawn was driving, silent, and tense.

I was nervous, Alice said the woman is powerful, guarded by armed men, and deities. The loa. They were the Vodou gods and extremely powerful in their own right. "Sunshine, I know you're angry, I can feel it coming off of you. But remember, we are coming to her, not the other way around." Shawn said, reaching over and reassuringly squeezing my thigh.

Alice was seated in the back seat, her skin lively and refreshed, her way of speaking adapted as she spent more time in my head, my memories and thoughts. "The Mambo is a great threat, maybe if you had a stronger coven or more bound spirits. If this goes wrong, you are all in real danger." She said, fading away. I sighed, the Gps telling us we were closer.

# # #

We pulled up to the pretty restaurant, it screamed French Quarter, and I would have loved to have been there in a different setting. I sat there as Shawn parked, the car was off and I was about three breaths from hyperventilating. "Sunshine, look at me. Look at me, I'm right here with you. I won't let anyone hurt you. Do you believe me?" He asked. I held my breath nodding quickly, he smiled and told me to breathe.

Shawn opened my door for me and I stepped out, I felt comforted only slightly. My heart was thundering, still, when Shawn held my hand, I felt safe. We walked into the narrow building, and the decor was nice. Green and white, with gold trimmings. There were several round tables, and four mirrors on different points of the wall.

 There were several round tables, and four mirrors on different points of the wall

It was almost empty, except for the farthest back table. At the table sat nine people, ranging in color from light toffee to bitter chocolate. The man from my visions also sat at the table, just as tattered and dead-looking as always. Except he was alive, he was real, a living member of her tribe. I knew exactly which one was her, she was seated dead center. She was beautiful, but not what I expected. She was very light, probably mixed, her hair was red, but it was her gaze. It was intense. That and the fact that she looked so young. But I was amazingly aware of energy now, and her's was beyond powerful. It felt older, not loa old but older than what she appeared.